Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange graphic problems

• Please log in to reply

Wing Zero

Wing Zero

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I start up Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and the graphics look very gritty (as in, that everything has edges where once it was smooth) so i decide to not play right then, so i quit. When i get back to my desktop i notice that my icons in the taskbar next to the start icon have the same kinda grittiness. My graphics card is:

Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX

My monitor is:

Samsung SyncMaster 215TW

another thing is, that the taskbar and game seem to be the only things that got gritty, Firefox pages and such arn't different at all :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm just getting a good idea of what you mean. By gritty do you mean the edges don't look smooth but very jagged?

Wing Zero

Wing Zero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes, basically jagged, but since they are small icons it is on a smaller scale

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
if the in-game graphics are also gritty, then you might have Anti-Aliasing off. i don't know idf VtM:B has an option to turn aa, but usually graphic-intensive games have a setting for it. you can set it to 2,4,and 6. (like in oblivion) what AA does, is basically it goes over all the pixelated edges, and smooths them down. you might also want to see if you can change the pixel size. this won't change anything major, but it will help a little

Edited by dllp117, 14 June 2006 - 09:57 AM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If they were smooth before than AA isn't the problem. Wing, do you have a thermal sensor on your video card or CPU or anything? If not I would recommend getting one because what may be causing this is a slight heat problem. That or your graphics card is dying, which is very very odd but that would be the last guess I had.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i don't think that it would be his graphics card dying, because a 7800gtx is a fairly new card, so i'd agree with blackpandemic that it's a heat issue. i know that you can check your graphics card heat and everything (if you have a thermal sensor) from the desktop, but i forgot how...i'm going to check how to do it on mine...

Edited by dllp117, 15 June 2006 - 10:21 AM.