Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Website Content Tags?

  • Please log in to reply



    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,
Was wondering if any of you could help me out with some termoinology. I am looking to find the term given for the little boxed text found when hovering over an item (pictures, links etc) within many websites. The text is usually the same as the link name, or a description of the image... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've attached a screenshot example for you all. Any help here would be great!
  • 0




    Je suis Napoléon!

  • Administrator
  • 26,039 posts
  • MVP
i think that's called ALT text
  • 0



    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes, that is exactly what it's called. It's a required element in the IMG tag that displays images. It is there for users with slow internet connections that don't download pictures or use a text only browser. While it's supposed to be there for every image, it's often left off of minor images.
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP