Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4 pin CPU fan to 3 pin... HELP NEEDED

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

I want to be able to plug my 4 pin CPU fan into a zalman fanmate 2. The CPU fan has a 4 pin connector like the one shown HERE -> http://i6.tinypic.com/14ddhrb.jpg

What I want to be able to do is to fit the above type of cpu fan connector into connector on the zalman fanmate 2 shown HERE -> http://i5.tinypic.com/14dezqp.jpg

The zalman fanmate 2 connector only houses a 3 pin cpu fan whilst mine is a 4 pin.

Can some one please tell me how to get around this :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
All i can do here is suggest something that i have done. I do not say you need to do it this way. I just took an xacto knife and cut out one side of the second connector you linked to, made sure the wires were correct and pluged it in. Worked like a charm. It has been a while since i did this as i had never seen before and have never seen again a 4 pin plug for the cpu fan. I think i left the blue wire without a connection.

I wonder if the blue wire is used by the motherboard to control the fan speed. Crazy pc has this adapter.

http://www.crazypc.c...ducts/5407.html

A second option is to did out a old fan that has a 3 prong plug and cut the 4 prong plug off and solder the 3 prong plug wires in. Again just make sure the wires are correct. You may have to experiment with the blue wire. What make and model of computer was this connector from?

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 14 June 2006 - 03:57 PM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
I had that idea in mind but I didnt know if it would work.

Have you got one that you have done and have a pic of so that I can see what it looks like?

Cheers :whistling: :blink:

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
edit...accidental triple post

Edited by Gamerlicious, 15 June 2006 - 03:46 AM.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
edit

Edited by Gamerlicious, 15 June 2006 - 03:45 AM.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Now I'm no expert, but that sounds like a bad idea. That's like the people who break off the grounding prong on a power cord to get it in an outlet without the third hole. Not good, but it does work...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need the ground alot of countries dont have them at all, mind you breaking them off if you do have them is stupidity as it is unsafe, fans arent life threataning so i think you are ok.