Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor with screen display disappearing

• Please log in to reply

daniel_p

daniel_p

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

my five months old Scenicview E19-1 monitor worked perfectly until a few days ago, when the screen suddenly went black, with the power indicator changing from green to orange. If I turn the monitor on/off manually pressing the monitor's on/off-button, the display will be back for about two seconds and disappear again. I can repeat this for as many times as I want with the same result over and over again. I've checked the monitor cable and it's ok, and I've also tried to change the monitor settings and the problem is still there. I'm back to my old monitor (NEC Multysinc FE770) and it works perfectly on the same computer. Any clues as to what might be the problem?

Thank you!

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
My friend had the same problem, and he did find the cable to be the problem. It was weird, because just like you say the lights went onto standby mode. However replacing the cable fixed it.

When you say you've checked the cable what exactly have you checked? Unplugging and replugging might not be enough, if that is what you've done. You might want to try replacing the cable with another (have a spare or can borrow briefly form a friend?) and see if the problem persists. It is also possible that the cable input socket is damaged on the screen end of things.

If you have already checked those things then please don't be annoyed - someone else might benefit from the above.

Digikiwi

daniel_p

daniel_p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi digikiwi,

thanks for your help.

What I meant by checking the cable is that I plugged and unplugged it - as you mentioned - and also pulled from it; a little bit of a "rough" move, I know, but you never know...

The problem with this monitor is that the cable for the PC connection is built in on the monitor side, so I cannot try another one. The cable for the electric supply works fine.

One thing I've come to notice is that the Scenicview monitor works if I start the PC using my old monitor and then switch monitors while the computer is running, but it won't work if i try to start the PC with it. żAny ideas why?

Daniel

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi digikiwi,

thanks for your help.

What I meant by checking the cable is that I plugged and unplugged it - as you mentioned - and also pulled from it; a little bit of a "rough" move, I know, but you never know...

The problem with this monitor is that the cable for the PC connection is built in on the monitor side, so I cannot try another one. The cable for the electric supply works fine.

One thing I've come to notice is that the Scenicview monitor works if I start the PC using my old monitor and then switch monitors while the computer is running, but it won't work if i try to start the PC with it. żAny ideas why?

To be perfectly honest this goes beyond me, I'm no electronics buff, so I can only guess from here. If you have previously used the cable to pull or move the monitor (which I think you are saying) it is entirely possible that it has received some minor damage. This would suffice as one explanation for your problem. I imagine it might have something to do with the voltage/curren shorting out or similar during the POST test when you turn on the computer. However this is only speculation.

At this point I will have to hope some GTG staff who are a whole lot more exoerienced can help you. However, you may want to consider your warranty if its still valid (though it may be declared void if they suspect rough handling).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Digikiwi