Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

Warden

Warden

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Have VZ DSL at the house. Had a wireless network setup for the past six months with no problems. Last week the wireless router stopped working. Computers can still connect to the linksys but can't connect to the net. I plugged the etehernet cable directly into the dsl modem and can successfully connect to the internet with the one machine. I bought another linksys and tried to set it up with no success. It said the router could not communicate with the dsl modem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Warden!

What you need to do is what is referred to as 'Power Cycling' your DSL modem. Before you do that, make sure all the cables are attached correctly between the DSL Modem and the router, and between the router and the computer(s). Then do the following:
  • Turn off all computers connected to the router
  • Unplug the power cord from the back of the DSL modem and the Router
  • Wait at least 5 minutes
  • Plug in the power cord into the DSL modem and wait at least one minute for it to initialize
  • Plug in the power cord into the Router and again wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Power on one computer and try to connect to the Internet with it.
  • If the one computer can connect to the Internet, then you can start turning on the other computers one-by-one and checking their Internet connection.
NOTE: It's up to you whether or not you want to try this with your old router or use the new one you purchased. I myself would try the old one first, since if it works, you will then be able to return the new one you just purchased even if it is opened.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 June 2006 - 06:25 AM.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks Fenor, all set. Greatly appreciated.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad it's up and running properly again. :whistling: Did you have to use the new one or did the old one still work?

Fenor

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I was able to use the old one. Thanks so much for your help.