Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox/IE

• Please log in to reply

candi735

candi735

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
well ok i am not sure whats the problem but a few weeks ago i was having a few problems with my computer.
i thought my dsl wasnt working but it turns out that my interent explorer isnt working now. i have dsl and can not get my IE to load up....anything. BUT firefox works with my dsl. but i would really like to get IE working again cause i cant figure out firefox. i cant get videos to play at all and some flash pages wont load up either. i never had that problem with IE.
so if anyone has any ideas how to get my IE working again...
or if you can explain how to play videos etc with firefox that would be cool!!

thanks!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm not that familiar with Firefox, but I do know you need plug-ins to make all that kind of stuff work. In the little experience I've had with Firefox, I've seen a yellow(?) bar across the top that prompted me to install the correct plug-in when I needed it. You can manually install the plug-ins that you need from here

As for Internet Explorer, let's see if I can spot your problem:

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 June 2006 - 09:09 AM.

creepin

creepin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a newbie at this...I think I got my computer infected with mal-ware and everything else.....When I start computer viruses show up some get deleted through anti-virus and some don't...I think i infected internet explorer and windows program how do I fix this and get rid of infected sectors...or is it to late for this...

thanks

p.s here is an attachment of my hijack log too...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Creepin, if you took a little more time to look around Geekstogo, you would have found where to start when you suspect an infection, and possibly the answer to your problem.

Look at the very top of this website. Do you see this?

Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. System clean? Spyware Protection.

Follow those directions. And do you see the rule under it??

To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up. Need help starting a new topic? Click Here.

Please take a bit more time before you post the next time. As you see, we have rules and etiquette, and we also show you how and where to get started.

BTW, yes creepin, you are infected. So follow the "Start Here" at the top of the webpage.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 June 2006 - 04:14 PM.

candi735

candi735

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks for getting back to me!!
i will look into those plug ins..thanks...
heres the hijack log...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Log looks good to me, though I am not a malware expert. One thing I did notice: You do not have an anti-virus program. You need to get one. In my signiture in the Anti-Malware section, the first 3 links are anti-virus programs. They are all high quality, but I've ordered them from then best to worst. Avast and AVG are free.

So, this issue must be directly related to Internet Explorer. A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

candi735

candi735

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

so i should not try this if i dont have a windows xp cd...right?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Exactly. You can't do either of those without the CD. See if you can borrow it from somebody. If not, I'll try to find some other way to do it, but I strongly believe you cannot do it without the CD. I've searched before...

candi735

candi735

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
well...then...
i dont think my puter came with a windows xp cd when i bought it...(could be mistaking though)
my mom and dad just bought a new computer i will see if theirs came with a cd...
thanks for your help!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Generally store-bought computers come with a Recovery CD, not the true XP CD. But I have seen a Dell Recovery CD that had the true XP OS on it.

It's possible, but more likely not.