Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newer video games 'hang'

• Please log in to reply

tll_2k

tll_2k

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First off, here's my system specs:
Computer: HP Pavilion a522n

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 504 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz
CPU Speed: 2595.5 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: HP DVD Writer 400c | F: ASUS CD-S480/AH
Default Printer: Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 144.6GB | D: 4.5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 45.8GB | D: 642.7MB
USB Controllers: Detected: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: PC153A-ABA A522N
Serial Number: MXK415149Z NA500
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 02/25/04 | IntelR - 30302e32
Time Zone: Central Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD Gamila/Giovani/Neon series
Modems: Not detected

I just recently installed the NVIDEA GeForce Fx 5500. I removed the on board video card drivers, turned off the computer, installed the card, checked BIOS for something to deactivate the on board graphics, but it only had the option to choose which one the computer preferred. when I booted up, Windows wouldn't bring up the login screen. So I went into safe mode and reinstalled the on board video card drivers, which let me get into windows. Then I disabled the on board graphics in the device manager.

Ok! I think I did something wrong and that's why I have my problems now. The graphics card works great, except that when I play newer games (Fable, the Lost Chapters, Guild Wars, and Rise of Nations:Rise of Legends) The game will 'hang' at varying intervals and for varying amounts of time. In Guild Wars and Rise of Legends, it's more of a nuisance, but in Fable, they are so close together that I can't even play the game! They usually seem to happen when something happens, like when a building is finished in RoL, or when stuff dies in GW.

I contacted HP about it, and they told me to download the latest drivers for my on board graphics. I did, but that didn't help or seem like it would be the problem. according to System Requirements Lab (http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest), I almost meet the recommended requirements for fable, and exceed the recomended requirements for both of the other two. I just don't know what to try to fix it...

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok several suggestions. the newer video games are resource intensive. you need a better video card than what you have to play them. What you have would meet minimum requirements. You are running agp, so your options are getting limited. By that I mean availability. what you need is a nvidia 6800 or better. ATI x800 or better if you like prefer that brand.

If you can't get a new card right now, then I would at least suggest upgrading your memory to 1 gig. That would also help.

as to your video drivers, you need to install the latest chipset drivers. What we are trying to do is update your gart driver (agp driver). there is a known issues with nvidea drivers 77.xx or newer that requires that latest chipset drivers to be installed. You are running an intel system. this link should take you to the download section at intel for your chipset:
http://downloadfinde.....44&submit=Go!