Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista running great

• Please log in to reply

superjaded

superjaded

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just spent my second evening with vista and it is running smooth. I installed it on my gateway (mx7118) laptop first with stand alone vista 64, but could not get sound or modem drivers, (not that i need the modem but thats not the point.) however no sound will not do. I then reinstalled windows on partition one, and then installed vista 32 on partition 2 same results. I went to gateway and downloaded the current conexant drivers for xp32 for the modem and sound card and they worked beautiful. However it is slow with a performance rating of 2 on this machine. specs follow. I will definately invest in a new dual core, sata, and 2gig for my vista machine later in the year

athlon 64 3400+ mobile
1 gig ram
4200 rpm drive (ugh)
ati 200m chipset
integrated wireless 125m broadcom
marvel yukon nic
conexant modem and audio

at this point i haven't checked the multimedia cardreader and there is no processor driver for vista from AMD yet

as for as using it its kinda annoying, beautiful to look at but way to many security and verification prompts, looking into disabling the crap tomorrow

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you run any 64-bit software? You might want to try Vista 32-bit (x86). Vista x64 requires digitally signed 64-bit drivers. They are still very scarce, and hard to find when they're available. The 32-bit OS will run just fine on your 64-bit system.

superjaded

superjaded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
umm if you read my post you would see i did that and it works great - i wasn't really asking for any help just throwing it up for commentary for others

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

4200 rpm drive (ugh)

I'll see that ugh, and raise you a blech.

I too have found that a 4200 drive just does not cut it with Vista beta 2

Vista is constantly hitting the drive even with 1gb ram at this time (beta 2), and a 4200 drive really bogs things down

turning off indexing helps some

superjaded

superjaded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok so i couldn't do it, sold the laptop and replaced it with

athlon 64 x2 3800
asus a8n
1 gig 3200
250gig sata
integrated nvidia6150LE - (need to work on that tho, Battlefield 2 just aint hangin)