Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp Pro Won't boot in Normal or Safemode

• Please log in to reply

illuminated

illuminated

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:whistling: I am currently running one of my PC's from an HP Laptop that has Windows XP Pro SP1. When I try starting my OS up in normal it gets past the windows xp logo screen and right where the desktop is suppose to show up, that's when I encounter the problem of my pc restarting automatically. I've tried last known configuration and logging into SAFE-MODE; still get the same outcome. The only way I really am able to somewhat login is in DOS-PROMPT where I can access the main C:\ drive; but cannot access my CD-ROM drive because my drive is running from a DOCK-STATION. I don't want to format my whole drive because I need some important files that are somewhat big so worst comes to worst I would then go for re-installing windows if I can get DOS- to detect my CD-Drive. Thanks all again, hope to hear from you guys soon.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi illuminated...

Does the problem machine have a floppy drive? How about the machine you are posting from, does it have a floppy drive?

wannabe1

illuminated

illuminated

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Greetings wannabe1 staff! The Problem machine has an internal floppy-drive. Do you have any suggestions on how I can salvage my situation?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the WinXP Bootdisk set for your installed operating system (links are about half way down the page) and save the file to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file and put a floppy diskette in the floppy drive when prompted to do so. This will require 6 formatted floppy diskettes.

Boot the problem machine with diskette #1 in the drive and keep feeding it disks until all 6 have loaded. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console. Press F8 to accept the license agreement , if prompted. Note: Multiple options will appear on the screen...Select the Windows XP installation in question. Note: You must select a number before you press "Enter", or the computer will restart. (Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.)

If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press "Enter". (Typically, the password is blank.)

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Let us know how you fare...