Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello all

I got a new cpu a couple of weeks ago and I have installed MANY new programs. I have a rundll32.exe application error that reads memory 0x77dd778e could not be written. It seems to pop up randomly in sets of two and it is extremely annoying. It definately appears when I load a game in the DVD drive. I have run virus scans, spyware/adware scans, registry cleaners, you name it I ran it but to no avail. Please help me!!!!!

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'd recommend running memtest:

http://www.memtest.org/

It might not help, but it won't hurt.

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks for the link but I have no idea how to use this. Do i download the iso and burn it to cd?

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Since it is a new PC....I am assuming you are using Win XP.

Do an Internet explorer repair.

http://www.theelderg.../repair_ie6.htm

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the link, I ran a sfc /scannow diagnostic but it didn't stop the error message.

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Someone please help me the techs at Dell are telling me to do a complete system restore!!!! That would completely destroy the last two weeks of work even with a back up. There has to be a way to get rid of this bug.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

This looks at memtest

Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Keith,

I ran through the procedures that you outlined but no luck. However I did not use the utility tool to defrag my registry because I did that last week and I guess I don't know enough to use this particular tool because it messed my cpu up so bad I had to reboot windows. I did not use memtest either because I can't figure out if I have to burn the ISO to a ISO cd, bootable cd or an image cd.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up is ok with reg defrag

If you click using memtest it explains the programme

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok I ran the reg defrag again and this time it worked out fine but it didn't solve my problem.

I read and reread the instructions at memtest but I think I need to revise bios which a) I don't know how to do and b) am not sure will help. I already ran the built in mem diagnostic.

My application log seems to state the problem is derived from a process called Dellfax, which rings true because I lost the source cd for my printer and had to download the driver from HP.com. My printer is an all-in-one but does not have a fax maybe the driver I installed has a fax program but can not locate the fax. I uninstalled the driver but it didn't remove the error so I reinstalled the program and that didn't help either. Could this be the problem and if so how might I fix it?

by the way I ran a hijack this scan but I am waiting for thier forum to respond, I will include the log.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the make and model of the printer

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hp psc 1315 all-in-one

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start, control panel add / remove, add / remove windows components to see if fax is installed, if yes, remove the tick, click apply, reboot

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the fax component was checked, I uninstalled it but it didn't solve the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you clear prefetch in case it is still loading it

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, reboot