Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1GB RAM

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Just bought a new 1GB stick of DDR RAM and it is only registered in windows as 512. Why is this happening?

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
What is your motherboard manufacturer and model? Are you sure it supports RAM of this size?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well I have a MSI MS-6382 and I ran a scan using crucial.com and the scan showed that this size RAM was supported but it is only reading as 512MB.

Edited by CJIS, 15 June 2006 - 01:30 PM.

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
This link..

http://www.msi.com.t...?UID=291&kind=1

leads to the page for the download of MS-6382 manuals. There are, it seems, two versions of this motherboard, v1 and v2. v1 only supports 512 sticks, v2 supports 1gb sticks. I don't know how to check if you have v1 or v2, though. If you have v2, then I'm out of ideas... sorry if I couldn't help :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
making sure i've got the right manual (msi doesn't register this board as an actual product that they sell)... you've only got 2 ram slots on the board right?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
That is correct

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the manual i got mentions no special settings or configurations....it's possible that A: one of the sticks is bad or B: one of the controllers is bad (the doohicky where the ram plugs in) C: you may need a bios update

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Is it possible to put the stick it to the next slot along (the empty one). I am now just this minute updating my BIOS drivers and my chipset drivers, will get back to you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
abuh? is this a single stick of ram that's 1 gig? not two 512's?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Yes 1 single Gigabyte stick.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's odd...i assumed because of the misread that there were two sticks...i've not seen a single stick show up as 512..hmmm

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
So could it be a problem with the slot it fits into and can it be moved?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it can be moved...i wouldn't expect that it would make a difference though...but it might...continue with the bios update...

alsocan you tell me where it's misreporoting the ram size? is the ram showing up correctly in bios?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok when i right click my computer and the click properties it says 512MB in Everest it says there is 1024MB installed but only 512MB is being used????? weird. how do I check what the BIOS says.

The BIOS is updated I will re-boot and check.

Edited by CJIS, 15 June 2006 - 02:05 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when the machine is booting up it should list your detected ram...once you're in windows open up task manager and click on the performance tab...what does it say there for the ram?