Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office XP Professional 2002 Update Problem

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
When I was prompted to do the Windows Update for KB917335 (Word 2002) and KB916519 (Power Point 2002), I received a message asking me to insert the MS Office XP Professional disk. I have never been prompted to do this before. When I inserted the disk, I kept getting an error, so I had to manually download the updates. Then, I didn't know in which folder to put these updates. Where do these updates go?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you download those, click run and they will install to the correct folder by default

When you install Office, if you choose complete, run all from computer and leave the installation files on the drive, you should not get the prompt to insert the CD

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Oops. Since I was prompted and didn't know where to install them, even by doing a search to see where they were installed, I put them in My Computer/Program Files/Windows Update. It's actually a hidden file. Okay, I clicked run for each file, and then I got the message that this wasn't the expected file or something to that effect.

So, next I went back to Office Update, and had it search for any needed critical updates. Again, it tried to install these two files, and again it asked for the Office XP CD even from the Office Update site. This is really weird. When I just click OK, without putting in the CD, I get this error: "The path Microsoft Office XP Professional cannot be found. [some other mumbo jumbo] then, Verify that you have access to this location or try to find the installation package PRORET.MSI." Well, even when I put in either of the two CDs, I still get the error.

I'm not sure if I understood your reply, Keith. I already have Office installed. Maybe if I reboot this will all work itself out?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can re-boot, the Office update should have an option to look for larger files which do not require the installation source

The bit about installing Office was general advice if you need to re-install it in the futire

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I was not able to load the new updates from the MS Windows Update site, either. There was an icon they suggested clicking on to tell how to fix the problem, but when I clicked it, nothing happened. I tried to open it in a new page, but that didn't work either. This has happened before. I'll bet other people are having the same problem. I think it usually sorts itself out in a few days and then I will be able to load the updates. By then, I will be out of town, though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word, click help, click detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

This is worth a go

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, the Help thing didn't work. Again Word was saying that I don't have the Help files installed. So when I clicked install, it prompted me again for the disk. I just clicked cancel because that didn't work before. This is really starting to be annoying. Sorry, I'm just perturbed. I've noticed lately - in the last two weeks or so - that whenever I open word, this installer starts. The same exact thing was happening about two weeks ago, except it was trying to install Roxio Easy CD Creator. I wrote about this about two weeks ago on the Geeks to Go. Now that I've removed Roxio, this crazy installer is trying to install something else when I open Word. Then, I get a message that Norton can't be repaired. I just don't know what the problem is.

I have already run TuneUp Utilities and all the things you suggested after opening Word Help. I don't need to defrag. I've done just about everything except the prefetch. Okay, I just did the prefetch, and there were only 38 files in there. They're all gone now. I did the prefetch yesterday when I wrote about my computer monitor going black and then the computer didn't respond. I don't know if you remember me, but that was just yesterday. I'm sure you help a lot of people, but maybe this will come back to you.

Okay, now it appears that Word is trying to open its Help file. The page is blank or not responding. I can't help but think all these miscellaneous prompts to install something are all related to the same problem. I don't know what it is! I've run TuneUp and it finds some errors, but then I still have problems. Is there any other application you can think of besides TuneUp to help with this? This problem has been going on for some time now.

Okay, I finally found the Detect and Repair below the Help menu. I had to pop in the CD to make this work. It shows a progress meter that says Please wait while Windows repairs. It claims to have done this now. We'll see.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only files you lose are the e-mails in Outlook if you uninstall Office to re-install

So you would need to back those up

Let me know if you want to look at doing that