Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Idea...help (?)

• Please log in to reply

w0lfer

w0lfer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there! Kinda new to this forum, so thanks for the help if you're reading. Precurssor, I've read quite a few of the posts in the last eight hours, trying to piece together a system that I think is leet enough for things like ffxi online, video editing, web design, etc, but now ENTIRELY out of my price range. Could you let me know if you think I'm missing anything? Here's what i got so far, with links to each item:

MOTHERBOARD: $182.99
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: $144.99
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor

MEMORY: $285.00
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory

VIDEO CARD: $134.77
XFX PVT42EUDE3 6800 XTreme 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

HARD DRIVE: $77.00
Open Box: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

POWER SUPPLY: $70.99
Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W Power Supply - Retail

CASE: $65.99
ASPIRE X-DISCOVERY-BK Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

That's it!! Mostly, I'm concerned about compatibility issues, as well as missing anything. This is my first BYO computer, and I'm hoping it turns out well. Thanks for all your help!!

-James

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AM2 is out now, and DDR2 memory is cheaper now than ddr its the main reason AMD switched to DDR2.

Prices are getting cut in half in july for x2s because intel launch the new conroe cpu.