Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC locks up

• Please log in to reply

gmc4815

gmc4815

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running Windows XP, and the thing goes dead on me. The cursor won't move, the hard drive won't read, and I have to shut the thing off and restart it.
I tried running chkdsk (with and without the /r or /f option) where it will run the check disk when the PC boots up. But that doesn't seem to tell me too much. I ran chkdsk numerous times from the command prompt (c:) in windows itself, and I keep getting messages that certain indexes were bad and then deleted. Each time I run it I get different results. More, and different, index files are bad.
I downloaded the different regestry programs and ran free scans. I got various numbers of errors, depending on which program I ran. Before I regester, and pay, for any of these programs, are they going to cure my problem, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks,
Gary
Never post your e-mail address in open forum...you may get more correspondence than you want.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gmc4815...

How long has this been going on?

wannabe1

gmc4815

gmc4815

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Only a couple of days. I had to reload my PC after a problem I had with a wireless USB network adapter. Now the thing just locks up on me for no reason.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did it run ok right after the install or has it been this way from the git-go?

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Removing those free programs is one of the things I could force you to do.
It's up to you in the end, but I'd strongly advice you to NOT pay for those programs. Almost 100% of them are a scam.

Instead, go to that malware forum.

Did you overclock your system wihout having coolings?

Or maybe a hacker?

Ask your local pc store for a hardware check (Keep in mind that they don't do that for free)

Good luck and sorry for my miserable advice, I'm at school and pissed off.

gmc4815

gmc4815

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My system is not overclocked. Also, the thing ran perfectly until I restored the original software.

Are Registry Mechanic, Registry Booster, and RegistryFix no good then? If not, then why are they available on the Geeks to Go site? I'm confused.....

To make sure I'm being understood, when I run chkdsk from the command prompt, I get messages telling me that errors were corrected in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute, errors were corrected in the Volume Bitmap, and Windows found problems with the file system.

Also, a fair number of orphaned files were recovered, AND it seems to delete alot of index entries in index $I30 fo file 58184, whatever that means. I have run chkdsk numerous times, and I get the same messages, but with different file/indexes listed.

??????????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you "reloaded" the machine, did you do a full format on the drive?

Use System Restore to roll back to right after the initial installation (before you installed any applications, if possible) and see how it runs. If it runs ok, install one application at a time, creating a restore point before each install. See how the machine runs after installing the program...if it's still ok, install another one.