Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powercut and Computer

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone, we've been having some really stormy weather here and the power's really unstable. If it's a long powercut I would just leave my computer off but it's more like a cut-and-back-on-in-a-second situation.

How bad is powercut for computer? I mean thank God I wasn't doing something in Maya otherwise I'd be devastated. I know I can't prevent powercut and probably got no money to buy a substation for my computer but I wanna know how can I "make my computer feel better" after a unsuspected powercut.

Thank you
Chinofeliz

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
It's not ideal your computer suddenly going off, but latest systems are built to withstand such things better than the old 98 ones. If you think it's likely to be happening a lot, get yourself a cheap UPS. You should also have your computer plugged into a surge protector.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Power cuts are ok its surges you should wory about during a storm you shouldnt use the computer. Get a UPS if the supply is unstable the belkin ones are cheap.

Edited by warriorscot, 16 June 2006 - 04:18 AM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx guys! Will get right onto it :whistling:

I wish I could just leave it off too but the university deadlines don't allow me to do so :S

Cheers
Chinofeliz