Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi everybody, I've been having some trouble when it comes to switching from one account to another, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

I am running Win XP Home with SP 2, and all current updates installed. There are only two accounts on my machine, one Administrator, and one limited user account, and each is password protected.

I log on to the admin account, and everything seems to be fine, although things seem to load slow at times. Later when I try to switch over, and log on to a limited account one of two things has been happening.

I.) Everything works normally, or 2.) The limited account starts to load up, then just gets stuck, and nothing works.

Whenever # 2 happens I have to manually hold the PCs power off/on button in until the machine goes off, and then restart it.

OK that's part of the problem, here's some more. When I try to switch users back from the limited user to admin there are about three different things that will happen.

1.) My favorite, everything works normally. 2.) The admin account will open, briefly, then quickly close, going back to it's screen saver, and requiring you to reenter the password to get in, however, if I keep the mouse moving while switching users it doesn't do that, 3.) Everything on the screen flickers, and then disappears leaving a blank E Machine background, and just stops right there with nothing working. Here again I have to shut down, and restart the machine.

And here's some more of the problem, everything will just hang from time to time whenever the limited account is simply being logged off of.

I don't think that it is a malware related problem because I have recently submitted a HJT log on a different problem, and received a clean bill of health from the malware section.

OK, so have any of you run into anything like this, if so what to do to overcome this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

♥ Wendy

Advertisements