Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Boot problems (blue screen)

• Please log in to reply

ModiVG

ModiVG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I recently purchased and installed some new parts in my computer. I replaced my motherboard, video card, and the RAM. Upon booting my computer up, everything would run properly until i got to the windows loading screen where it has the logo and a progress bar. At this point the blue screen of death just flashes and my computer restarts.

I am fairly certain this isn't a hardware problem as the startup process did continue pretty far without any problems. I tried doing a repair using my windows xp cd and I also did the dskchk /r command. When my computer started up again it proceeded further along and it shows the screen with the windows logo + progress bar for about 10-15 sec now (longer then before) before the blue screen of death flashes and my computer restarts. I backed up all my data before installng the upgrades, so I am not worried about losing anything currently on there. Any and all help is appreciated for this, Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ModiVG'''

You installed hardware that the operating system hasn't seen yet. Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will need your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, install the motherboard drivers, then the video card, using the software that came with them.

You will have to download all Windows Updates again.

This should get you up and running again.

wannabe1

ModiVG

ModiVG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I already did the repair feature and unfortunately all it did was move me further along in the start up process by about 5-10 sec on the same screen. Also I don't know if it is iimportant or not, but hte repair never asked for my reg key.

Edited by ModiVG, 16 June 2006 - 10:57 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The repair doesn't always ask for the product key.

I'm thinking it's drivers that's hanging the machine. Have you tried booting to Safe Mode by tapping F8 during boot? This will attempt to load Windows with a minimal set of drivers. If you can get to Windows this way, install the drivers as described in my last reply.

ModiVG

ModiVG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea, I tried safe mode also and the same thing happened. It makes it up to the Windows progress bar and then goes to the blue screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have important files on the machine you need to keep?

ModiVG

ModiVG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nope, I already backed up all my important files before installing the new components.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Do a clean install of XP. If you have only the C: partition on the drive, delete the partition and let XP create a new partition. Use the full format, not the quick format, and format to NTFS. Once the operating system has installed, install the drivers as suggested earlier.

There is a guide for this procedure HERE.

ModiVG

ModiVG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help! I will do that and let you know if the problem persists.