Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 won't show webpages unless in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

maxb

maxb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All

I am trying to fix a computer for a friend, and IE keeps showing "Page cannot be displayed" when users are logged in normally. However, it is possible to ping my router and the internet from this PC when logged in. The really frustrating thing is that it will access the internet from safe mode, and works fine. Using IP addresses instead does not work, either.

I have tried all the usual suggestions (AdAware, Spybot, Ewido, HiJackThis, CWShredder, AboutBuster, msconfig), and things have been found and (apparently) deleted, but the problem still persists.

XP Home, SP2, ISP BTInternet/Yahoo! (yuk!), remnants of the ISP's Norton Firewall and AV software which I can't uninstall - this may be the problem.

However, the following things have been found:

HiJackThis implied a CoolWare infection, which has been removed using CWShredder (cws.msconfig)

Ewido Anti-Malware found ShudderLTD, and claimed to have removed it (after IE still failed, I ran Ewido again, and it found ShudderLTD again)

hosts file has been checked and has just the localhost setting.

It seems as though I am finding problems, but not removing them completely. Either the malware keeps coming back, or the Norton software keeps getting in the way, or both (or of course, neither!)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's see if I can spot what's going on.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum so you can have your computer properly cleaned.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

maxb

maxb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Computerwiz12890

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the computer with the problem has now decided that it is going to allow access to the internet after all. Something I deleted before I made the post seems to have cleared the problem.

Obviously, the computer was waiting for this moment (very patiently for about a week and a half) before making me look a fool.

Once I clear up all the hacking I've done, I may be posting another plea, but for now, everything seems to be working.

Thanks for the offer of help.

maxb

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Something I deleted before I made the post seems to have cleared the problem.

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem. Do you happen to remember what you deleted/changed which seemingly solved the problem? This could help me solve this problem in the future, if you remember what you did.

maxb

maxb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Computerwiz12890

As the breakthrough came somewhat unexpectedly, I am not sure what finally did the trick. The last things I used were CWShredder (cws.msconfig), Ewido anti-malware (ShudderLTD) and aboutbuster (which didn't find anything). I also removed several registry keys to do with Symantec and Norton.

I would love to be able to say what the problem was, but it is not entirely clear. I think the friend had done some work deleting anything that seemed likely, so probably it was this process which caused the issue in the first place. I think I just cleaned up the hangover.

Sorry for not being more specific, and thanks for the interest.

maxb

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Considering it wouldn't show webpages unless you were in safe mode, I'd say it was those infections that were causing it. And removing them solved it :blink:

If you need anything else, we're here for ya :whistling: