Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start menu disappears

• Please log in to reply

jeanure

jeanure

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hye. i'm using windows xp home edition but when i start my windows, the start menu and all the launch icons do not appear. when i launch an application, for example ym, there's a big ym icon down there instead of the usual 'yahoo messenger' tab. can somebody tell me what should i do?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jeanure...

For trouble shooting purposes, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and click the "New Task" button on the lower right. Type explorer.exe in the "Open" field and click "Ok".

Does this bring up the task bar and desktop icons?

wannabe1

jeanure

jeanure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it doesn't work..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and click the "New Task" button on the lower right. Type regedit.exe in the "Open" field and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. Is the value (under the Data column) listed as Explorer.exe?

jeanure

jeanure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
wannabe1, thanks for your help. i've figured out what's wrong. forgive me for my trouble. thanks again

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
How did you solve your problem? This could help us when we encounter the problem in the future.