Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which app is marking my email as read?

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I just got rid of NIS 2005 and replaced it with ZoneAlarm, Avast, and Online Safety Shield (for parental control and pop ups). I'm pleased so far, but I've noticed that in my OE when I get mail within seconds they are all opened. I've already checked OE/Tools/Options and made sure that feature is unchecked. I'm thinking it's got to be the email scanner on one of the above...

anybody know which one and how I can turn it off?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would say that it would have to be one of the email scanners...non of which i'm familiar with(as far as working with them) see if there's a setting in there to mark the things as read once scanned

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks dsenette,

I'm not familiar with them either. I've just been so used to Norton doing everything for me for so long, it's tough trying to learn a new program(s).

I've searched both for some feature like you mentioned and if it's there I'm just not finding it. Something tells me it's more the avast than Zonealarm or OSS, but I could be wrong.

Warriorscot uses and recommends Avast, maybe he'll see this post and let me know, thanks for the reply!

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I accidently figured out that it was the OnlineSafetyShield a parental control filter. I was trying the Trial but it was giving me problems so I disabled it while I figured out what else I could use and the email problem stopped. I knew that OSS read emails for content reporting, but I didn't realize that was the prob.

Thanks anyway!