Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp boot optimizer

• Please log in to reply

CVH

CVH

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok I am on vacation so of course I have decided to fix my dads computer. Three problems that will be posted seperately and are unrelated. I have ten days to fix. Please help. Problem one. He has an HP computer. It has a boot optimizer program. EVERY TIME the computer is turned on the windows installer comes on to install it. It gives you two options. Either you can repair it and then it says it is fixed. Or you can choose to remove it. In either case the next time you boot up it comes back again. I have tried fixing it and then going to add remove programs and removing it. I have tried an advanced uninstaller program. It keeps on coming and coming. I am not sure if it does any good considering it is supposed to help the boot and it is never installed correctly as the boot comes up. I do have access to the 13 recovery discs he created when he got the computer. Thanks in advance for looking at this problem and any help is greatly apprecited.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello CVH,

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 12:09 AM.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok I changed it and the log is atached. Feel free to recomend shutting down anything not needed as well.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see it in the hijackthis log. Let's try removing it with MSCONFIG before we use HJT.

Open MSCONFIG by going to Start --> Run

type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Startup tab. Find the HP Boot Optimizer. (it may look like HPBootOp or something similar) Now uncheck the box next to it. Click on Apply and then OK.

Restart your computer and see if it still pops up.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok grrrr First I see the dONATE if I helped, I will especially since i only have 48 in country hours left and wont be able to check the reponse for 24. I did as told and got this. You have used system config utility to change way windows starts. now in diagnostic or selective startup mode. Causing message to be displayed. choose normal startup to undo changes u have made. Please oh please get this monkey off my back.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I think I know what you're talking about. It looks like this, right?

Posted Image

Just put a check in the box next to Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start and then click on OK. It will go away.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did that. It still comes up. i went to MS config to make sure it was unchecked. It is but still shows up EVERY time I boot.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What "still" shows up: The HP Boot Optimizer or the System Configuration Window?

If you are talking about the System Config Window, go back into MSCONFIG and on the 1st tab, click on Normal Startup. Reboot. You will probably see the window again. Put a check next to that box and reboot again. See if it happens again.

If you are talking about the HP Boot Optimizer, let me know. I'll prepare instructions for its removal.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The hp boot optimizer still comes up. Thanks.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Doing a bit more research, I came across this:

This program is non-essential process to the running of the program, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

So we'll try to salvage the Boot Optimizer before we try removing it completely.

Follow the advice at the following website:

http://h10025.www1.h...l_bootoptimizer

Try the uninstalling instructions first. And if unsuccessful, try the reinstalling instructions.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 July 2006 - 12:47 PM.