Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General Video Playback (or lack thereof) problem

• Please log in to reply

The Daily Llama

The Daily Llama

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right. Now here's a somewhat odd problem... any help would be rather appreciated.

I have very little idea of what sort of details I should be providing- nor where I can find them on the computer- but I'm willing to supply anything requested if I can figure out how to do so. (Ugh. I'm such a n00b.) But I gather I'll just land you all with as much information about my problem as I can think of right now, and we'll see where it leads.

Anyway. I've had this computer for slightly over 2 years now. I can't remember exactly when this happened- I payed very little attention to it at the time- but at some point in the past, when the computer was still quite new, video playback stopped working in Windows Media Player. I'd occasionally get sound (when, for instance, streamed from a website- but I wouldn't get any when playing video files on my computer) but never any image. I could sometimes get around this via opening specific formats in other media players, which would haphazardly decide whether or not it felt like playing the video, based seemingly entirely on the computers volatile mood.

Anyway, sometimes (or for some file formats) Quicktime would work, other times it wouldn't. WinAmp seems pretty much worthless and the same as Windows Media Player. Realplayer was generally pretty good, but wouldn't work for everything. WinDVD version- uh, 4, it may have been- came installed on the computer, and could run pretty much everything, but seeing as it was a free version, it was lacking basic abilities such as- you know- fast forward, skip, and pause. Yeah. It sucked a bit.

Oddly enough, I could play DVDs using Windows Media Player.

I've updated- and restored defaults- for Windows Media Player often, and am pretty sure I have the latest non- Beta release.

Insofar as I can put a date on when these difficulties began, I believe it may have been shortly after installing Ulead Video Studio 7 for some home video editing abilities. Now, here's the odd thing- I have never had any difficulty playing back video in Ulead- everything runs in there, but I have huge difficulty playing back any video anywhere else.

Or, it could have been around the time of updating my graphics driver thingamajig, which I did around the same time. I'm not really sure, though.

So. Sorry about being so vague, but that's the problem as best I can remember it. Any help, once again, will be very much appreciated- and I'll supply more details or answer your questions as best I can whenever asked. Hit me with whatever, and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,
The Daily Llama.

EDIT: Just on the off-chance it may be useful, I've attached the DirectX Diagnostic Tool summary.

Attached Files

Edited by The Daily Llama, 17 June 2006 - 01:52 AM.

Advertisements