Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer not working

• Please log in to reply

Liz25

Liz25

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
A few things going on with my PC....Windows Installer is not working. Appears to be loaded ok but doesn't do anything. When I open current Word docs get message saying it be can't be registered, and I can't reinstall because Installer isn't working.
On the net everytime I go to a web page I get a blank page and then if I click Refresh the page loads.
Help! and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Liz25, Go to Start > Run > and type CMD. Then type: msiexec /unregister (note the space) and press Enter. Then type: msiexec /regserver (note the space) and press Enter.

Note. "regserver" is not a typo error.

This corrects most situations in which the Windows Installer is not responding or in which you suspect corruption.

On the net everytime I go to a web page I get a blank page and then if I click Refresh the page loads.
Help! and thanks in advance.

Visit: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q281679 Also U can try ( XP System File Checker). Click start and then click Run. In the Run box type: sfc /scannow click OK. The progress bar will appear. SFC will take several minutes to run. It might ask for your Windows XP disk/cd so have it on hand.

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Kenny94,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately it still seems to be the same - Some of my services in Office (in Word) aren't working and I am unable to reload office. I get an error message saying that the Windows Installer is not working.
I was thinking I would reload Windows XP. Or, is there another way?

Thanks again!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try this:

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Look at the middle-left section called MSI. Click on the box called Fix Windows Installer and make sure all of its sub-boxes are checked too.

Now, at the bottom-left corner, click on GO.

Restart your computer.

This procedure doesn't always work, but it performs almost all the same complicated procedures that you would have to do manually. If it doesn't work, then there is more to the issue than just the Windows Installer being corrupt.

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Computerwiz12890,

Still a no go. So I guess there is more wrong than just the installer.
Any ideas anyone has for things I can do to get it fixed would be appreciated.

More recently internet pages (and specifically our chosen home page) has to be refreshed before it actually show anything on screen.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download this, choose run

http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks everyone for your help so far...guess what? Still no go. I downloaded and then tried to reinstall from my Office CD (I want to upgrade some things in Word) but the installer still seems to be an issue.
Do you think I should reinstall XP?
Do you think there is more to this than meets the eye?

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Hello Liz25. Let us try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility at: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301 since you have your office CD'S..

Do you think I should reinstall XP?

Not yet. See if the above works? If not, wait for more replies from the other members..

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Kenny94,

I can't get it to work. I can download, but not run. I get the following error when I try to run the Windows Installer clean-up utility:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

TIA

Liz25

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Advertisements

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Keith,

I was able to use Disc Cleanup, but nothing happens when I click on my C Volume and choose Analyze or Defragment in the Disc Defragmenter. I stopped there because I wasn't certain if it would be useful to carry on with the rest of the instructions. So....where to here from here?

Thanks again!

Liz25

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the system file check, you can come back to the defragmenter

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Continue with the rest of his instructions. Afterwords, see if your problems still exists.

If so, go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

And then once we are sure the hard drive is fine, try reinstalling Windows Installer.

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Edited by Liz25, 16 July 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Liz25

Liz25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I forgot to mention that I'm also having some problems with some installations. My daughter has a Creative Zen Micro that we get an install error with...following error on the installation CD ...

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable.

I have had a similiar issue before - with the RPC Server part - when trying to download and run Norton Internet Security.

Again, I appreciate your help with all of this....THANKS!