Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct File Sharing to a Friend

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello, me and a friend always send each other documentaries and what not each week over AIM. We have tried other things such as DC++, ICQ and numerous file sharing websites, but AIM seems to work out the best even though the top speed we can ever get is around 58-60kbps.

My question is this, does anyone know of a reliable direct file sharing program where I can just enter his user name and send him things without dealing with tons of people trying to get my stuff? I know that both of our connections are capable of better speeds than what we are getting with AIM.

Thanks for your time! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could look at spread-it, the advantage is you have a password so you can delete the file after anyone you want has downloaded it, not sure of the upload speed but the download will be at the usual speed

http://www.spread-it.com/

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks a lot, but does anyone know of an actual program that would let me directly send files to someone at good speeds? Other than the programs listed I have also tried Soulseek, but had a hard time find my friend's username. DC++ seems like it would work real well, but me and my buddy can never seem to get a connection actually going, I know it has something to do with passive and active settings, but I am not sure how to fix it.

So, if anyone knows of a good program that might help me out... please let me know!

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi ,i use to get files from a friend via FTP a couple of years ago ,have you tried that .
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/FTP_server

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I actually have tried an FTP, I had set one up on my end and had my buddy use Filezilla to try to connect, but he could never get a connection to me when I was completely set up on the other end. I am not sure what we were doing wrong, but we tried it for about two hours one day.

thanks

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Does anyone know of a program that can help me and my friend? I am still looking for something besides AOL, is there any other instant message type program that offers fast file transfer? I tried to set up an FTP again and he couldn't connect, and today we tried sharing through Soulseek with no luck, he couldn't even get my file list. We could see each other online though. I hate being capped at around 60kb/s.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please remember that the transfer speed between you and your friend will be strictly limited to your connection speed to the internet.

Therefore if you both connect to the internet at broadband speed 512k for example, your maximum download speed will be about 60k, with upload speeds running at half that.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I know, thanks though.

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I know, thanks though.

Good answer !

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe civil netizen?

http://www.civilnetizen.com/

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
That is very easy.
Then you should try Skype!
With Skype you can send/receive files to/from a single friend, or multiple friends at the same time.
When I transfer files with my frinds on Skype, we have a speed over 1Mbit/sec.
For you, Skype is the best!

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks, going to try out these two suggestions tonight. It looks pretty promising, thanks for the alternatives guys.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Mozilla doesnt intergrate FTP systems yet, stick with IE