Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume icon, Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Home Edition. I went to the "contol panel", then into the "volume" section of "sounds and audio devices properties", and put a check mark where it says "place volume icon in the taskbar", clicked on "apply", but the little "speaker" volume icon will not appear in the taskbar. Any suggestions? I did it at least half a dozen times but to no avail. I'm at a loss to figure this one out...... Thank you . :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click properties, remove the tick for hide inactive icons, click apply, does it show now?

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi Keith, I did exactly what you said and still no icon. I even tried rebooting afterwards. Nothing. Maybe this is something that can't be fixed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
All the sounds play, does the volume stay where you set it, is it onboard sound

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes Keith, all the sounds play, the volume stays were I put it. On board sound? Not sure what you mean by that, but I pulled a little trick so the volume control would be handy, and I don't have to go through control panel, etc. I just put a short cut for the "sounds and audio devices" in my toolbar at the bottom of the screen, near the taskbar where the clock is. It's about as easy as having the volume control in the task bar. I just open it and adjust the volume then close it. I wish I knew why I can't get the icon to go in the taskbar though, I never had this problem with Windows ME, as crummy as Millenium was. If you think of anything else though, I am open to suggestions and will try anything once. Thanks Keith. :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just to clarify, the volume icon for XP is alot different looking then the one for Windows ME. It a gray sphere. Check by the clock and see if it's there but you just didn't notice it because you were looking for the old icon from ME.

Fenor

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks Fenor, I know it looks like a gray sphere but it is not there, and I've followed procedure to the letter and it just will not show up in the taskbar. An XP glitch maybe? I'll try Windows XP support and see if I can find a solution in their FAQ. Thanks much, I appreciate your help. :whistling: