Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

secured sites again

• Please log in to reply

tatoo

tatoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: This is the second request, it anyone knows what could possibly be going wrong that I can not access any secured sites. I have verizon dsl; I have spoken to their tech support and they think I am having an operating systems error..... I can not get onto my job website, banks, school etc. Please let me know what to try

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi and welcome tato
Assuming your running XP,

Close IE and run a search on your PC for a file named: hosts (no extension). You will find it in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

Open the file with Notepad and have a look at the entries inside.
The list will look something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost <-(leave this entry)

If you see any lines referencing sites you cannot access, delete those lines and save your changes.

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
did our staff go over the internet explorer settings with you before we refered you elsewhere?

you might (if we hadnt already with you) go to tools (at the top of your browser window), go to internet options -> security -> internet -> custom level -> change the settings to as low as it will allow you -> hit OK

then go to the privacy tab -> and slide the bar all the way down for the cookie settings

also make sure any firewalls are disabled for the moment

if this works and you can browse to the sites you mentioned, adjust the settings back up to as high as it will allow you to still use the sites.

good luck :tazz: