Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
PC Stats: Dell XP 400 Dimension
Windows XP-SP2
Internet Explorer-browser
Outlook Express-email program
Trend-Micro-AV program
Ewido and Windows defender-spyware & spam programs

Problem: Outlook Express email takes nearly a minute to load whereas before
OE would instantly open when accessed.

Changes in PC: There have been no overall changes. I did have a problem with Admin.
accounts but my personal tech resolved that but made no changes to my PC.
I am now using my own administrator account and not the Main Administrative Account of
the general PC system.

Resolutions I have tried: Uninstalling OE and reinstalling from XP Disc
Uninstalling IE and reinstalling from XP Disc

Is there anything else I might address re this problem with Outlook Excpress? I have tried using Outlook and Thunderbird and though satisfactory do like the simplicity of OE as well as the larger format of icons etc. Appreciate any thoughts re this problem.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I know this sounds simple, but if you have a lot of emails sitting in your inbox windows has to load all of them before it will open up. If you make different folders to store the emails in and keep the inbox with only a few emails it will load a lot faster.

I belong to a couple of email newsgroups so i get 100's of emails daily. I move the emails to other folders to keep track of them and keep the speed in OE up. I seldom keep a 100 emails in my inbox.

SRX660

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Appreciate the thought but I get about 5 emails a day and thoroughly clean out my folders at nightfall. Do not have many contacts via email so feel this is not a problem for me. But again do appreciate your time on my post.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Lets start troubleshooting this problem. Disable your Antivirus program and see if OE loads quicker. If it does not help then try disabling your firewall and see if that helps. It sound like your emails are being scanned before displaying.

SRX660

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Closed AV program and Windows firewall was not connected. Did not seem to resolve problem of Outlook Express slow log on. Also in process I lost the icon for TrendMicro on taskbar and cannot seem to retrieve same. Can also advise on this problem? :whistling: