Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wanting to build first new computer

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well you dont know about PC P&C because u live in scotland, its an american brand (although i am canadian) and its one the best PSUs alive. yeah 36GB does make a difference, if you dont have it, you wouldnt know. its very noticeable but if you dont mind waiting a tad longer then dont go for it.

kinda arrogant of you to think that because you never heard of it, means it cant be that good. there are people out there with as much and even more knowledge than you and some know of the brand and some dont, but a majority do.

Thermaltake makes great cases, and yes i realize there are other better ones, like cooler master or the basic Antec ones which are great. but this is just what i suggested, because i didnt list more doesnt mean i dont know of anymore and doesnt point to that fact that im 15.

Advertisements

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thx everbody 4 the suggestions, ive been reading articles on the net on how to build a computer and it looks like i could probably do it without any real problem that i wont understand. the only thing is after everything is built they talk about configuring the bios. thats were i get lost. it says to put in cpu multiplier and frequency. the question i have when i encounter it is when it asks can i set it to auto if not how do i found out these thinks. another is when u have to partion the hard drives, do i have to do that or i heard that when you install windows it does that 4 u?
also the mobo isn't sli maybe an sli am2 board would be good so when games get more demanding i could stick another card in the mobo. i found this mobo-MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130048
also this mobo asus-mrr32-mvp its a crpssfire am2 boars that isnt out yet but i may want to get it if any knows if it is going to be good
also does anybody know which nextgen video card will be better

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well first of all it will never come to a point where games will be so demanding that only sli or xfire will solve the problem, for each generation of games there will be a top of the line single card to handle it. as for BIOS configs, the cpu multiplier and frequence stuff is only for overclocking which you should worry about for a while. just learn the basics, take it slow till u fully understand it. you wouldnt need to configure, hardly anything, windows partitions itself, you would only need a manual partition when multi booting, which im sure ur not doing. the MSI board is the way to go. the only thing you would have to do manually on bios is maybe enable Legacy USB which is used for ur keyboard i believe, not sure bout mouse though.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the new mtherboards will automatically configure the bios for the hardware you install. The one place they don't auto configure is with SATA drives. There will usually be instructions on how to install the sata drivers which is usually a PDF file on a cd with the drivers. Read them carefully to install. The processor will usually identify itself to the bios but if the processor is newer than the bios you may have to set the multiplier and bus speed or update the bios to match the processor. I've even left a processor underclocked because it ran well enough to me it did'nt matter and i did not want to upgrade the bios at the time.

If you have the bios set to boot first from a cdrom drive you can start the computer up, open the cdrom drive door, put the windows cd in, close the door and shut the computer off. Restart the computer and the cd should start installing XP right away.

Microsoft really says it all on a new install.

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you get the manual, if you are going to go AMD then get the MSI manual they are good.

It doesnt matter where i live to see products, i read US tech sites for info and ive been here a year helping people build machines not ONE has ever used that brand of PSU in a system. I tend to go with what i read and more importantly what i see, we get a good view of whats good and whats not here better than alot of review sites do. Its not advisable as a rule to go with small relativley unknown brands as its difficult to know things like how good the RMA process and customer service, how often they come dead, how often they die as soon as the warranty comes out, that kind of stuff its the reason we go the logical path and reccomend well known quality PSUs. And as a rule if they arent popular they are either not good or too expensive. Not arrogance logic.

Any mobo you pick will set itself up automatically, most you should have to do is setup the boot priorities and turn off unwanted peripherals and even at that you probably wont have to do it to get everything running.

Partioning doesnt need to be done but its helpful to have a seperate partition for the OS and one for Data. On installation XP will format the drive itself and install you can leave it with that one large partition or create smaller ones before hand up to you.

Dual gfx cards are a pain wouldnt bother with them, they are essential for High resolution gamers but not alot of people have such high resolution monitors to need the systems, most of the marketing is a con its rarely the best option.

I wouldnt go AMD myself even though i like them if i was building new i would go intel because of the superior performance and the fact that K8l while looking promising doesnt look good enough to be so much better than conroe and the new intels coming out, intel is just at the start of its fightback its got alot to go before it runs out of new chips while AMD has run out of new chips.

Unless you get the newest raptor and compare it to an old drive there is a difference, an older standard raptor when it comes to real performance is actually quite poor in comparison to some 7200rpm drives certainly not worth the price tag and disadvantage of no space, they dont work out the newer SATAII ones are a little better but hybrid drives are close enough to release to make them an unfeasible purchase. That and the newer 7200rpm drives in real performance are either better or similar, the only things you will see that speed difference arent day to day its in large file read and writes you see it, boot times youll be lucky to gain one or two seconds from a raptor. But flash memory systems will negate them further.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the mother board i want to get is ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard-or this Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
any ideas

this power supply-Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103941

im goin to get this ram-CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

this case-Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133132

this hard drive im just goin to stick with one-Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144392

and this dvd drive-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101006

an i will get this processor cause i cant find a 4400+ at newegg(i will upgrade my cpu when the new AMD cpu's cpme out)-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(AM2)http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103751

and this graphics card for i will upgrade when the second series of the next gen cards comes out-ATI 100-435805 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195003

And this fan does any body know if this is good, if not can someone else recommend a better one- Thermaltake CL-P0268 92mm CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106075

questions i have is will i run into and combatibility problems with these parts. Also when i upgrade my cpu with new K8l architecture Amd cpu's will it run in my mobo and when i upgrade can i just pull out one cpu and stick in another with out having to doa anything. will the new dx10 cards run in my mobo

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
for PSU i'd go with an Antec smartPower or TruePower

the reason why most people dont buy that brand of psu is because it is expensive. here is a link
http://www.newegg.co...;SubCategory=58

as you can see they have great reviews.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Only choice i would change is maybe the mobo foxconn and Asus are ok but dont have as good a reputation as some companies, MSI, Gigabyte and Abit all have AM2 mobos.

A new sytem now should have at least 2Gb of memory, you should get a sataII hard drive with a 16Mb cache either a 7200.10 series or a spinpoint, if you want smoething a little cheaper get a maxtor.

I wouldnt get an X1900XT its to expensive so close to DX10 you would be smarter getting something cheap now and then getting a first generation DX10 card probably and R600 by the looks of it.

You should be able to but there is no guarantees AMD havent mentioned anything about K8l except that they think the first chips are coming out start of next year with quad core in Q4 2007 even at that its just rumours. Its quite possible they will change the architecture so much to be incompatible with current AM2 boards even with the latest bios, i wouldnt count on compatibility.

You should be ok for DX10 with those boards.

But i have to say the way you are planning isnt very smart, the AM2 cpus right now are pretty expensive there will be a price drop in July but it wont be enough, if you read core 2 duo reviews even the mid range chip beats an FX62 by a significant margin and the cpu you have picked is alot slower than that. And intel have alot to come whereas AMD dont have alot intel piled alot of cash into R&D when they saw AMD as competition and its paying off, CPU market goes in cycles one will beat the other then it will go back the other way etc. etc. right now AMD has had its run and Intel are stepping up. Its not a good decision to go AMD because there is no guarantees of AMDs next gen chips being faster its actually unlikely they will be given the kinda stuff intel has to release.

You should get an intel next month when they come out, then next year if K8l is better and you have money switch back to AMD should be about the same time as a dx10 card release so you will be upgrading anyway.

If you carry on the way you have planned you will throw away alot of money and perforamnce, more than normal on a computer.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
alright i think ill wait then 4 conroe. so, could u guys look at my parts and say wat u think. so, since im watin 4conroe wat motherboard would u guys recommend.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
personally i'd wait longer than the release date for conroe, I wouldn't a new socket untill i have seen reveiws and seen enough people run them in. Same with DX10, first releases might have bugs. I was going to build soon. but will wait for the end of the year.
But that's my preference.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Conroes are out, they are in small quantities to some builders and reiviewers the main mobo to use them the 875X has been out since April, wainting for bugs is just a little daft as they wont ship it with obvious bugs and if it isnt picked up in benchmarking its nothing to do with the hardware but something manufacturer end with bad production, not a problem with intel. Its also not a new socket its a new chip for an existing socket.

Same with DX10 ATI at least have had there DX10 tech out for a while in the 360 this is the second generation for them, if it has bugs they wont release it, wating because of possible bugs doesnt make alot of sense. Wait cause your skint, wait cause new tech is coming out that you want, you dont wait because of possible bugs in first generation hardware which if you understood the development you wouldnt do.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I suppose you mean 975, I know it's a new chip not socket, tying mistake, I just don't fancy spending thousands on a couple of graphics cards, motherboard and on a processor at 2.93ghz, untill i've seen them run, at the end of the year I would rather go for a 3.2 conroe, than a current 2.93 that gives me an extra 2 meg of cache etc.
I definatly will buy, but i'm just hoping that intel releases more in the 975 line, the single intel board i've seen (while good), can't be my only option. I've heard gigabytes aren't that good either, but thats from only 1 person who has it... (I havn't seen any 965 boards from intel yet). These copper heat pipes Asus and gigabyte are using for example, i don't know how reliable they are, and would like to see for myself how efficent they really are...
Direct X 10 might not have any major bugs but the cards that accompany the software might not be the best buy for your buck, rather than "Wait for July", i'd rather wait that little bit longer for reveiws, more quality products, and a larger product line that gives me more purchasing power. Not the first thing that's out just because it's there...

Edited by sarahw, 23 June 2006 - 09:00 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The DX10 cards will hit reviewers about one month prior to release, its rare for them not to come out with any reviews at all. Look at Conroe its not out till Mid July yet there are lots of reviews on it. I never buy the fastest, i take it you want the 2.9 EE cpu coming out in August its rated at 2.9 but very cleverly OCs automaticaly to 3.2 which i like, Intel say they are releasing the other boards at the same time so you wont see those till July at least, DX10 cards first ones will be at least August from Nvidia, i would wait till ATI release there cards closer to the end of the year myself as they look to be better specwise and technology wise.

The Heatpipes are standard they use them on other boards as well so if you look at the reviews from the other boards you can find out, they arent going to be any worse probably slightly better. As far as i know they work well but are akward with some HSFs.

Yeah i was meaning 975X , i still had on the gameing keyset in my keyboard its not good for typing. Ive seen a couple but ive noticed that we seem to get mobos quite early there were AM2 mobos in the shops before there was any AM2 chips. same with intel there are 2 or 3.

I wouldnt spend thousands though, trick is to aim for the middle the high end stuff is rarely good value, and two gfx cards has never been good value. DX10 should largely eliminate the need for two cards.

The people we see here usually need a PC Now and waiting till July/August is ok but waitng another year for what realisticly will be just prior to the next generation isnt really an option.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hmmm.... True
My current rig will last another six months, others do need one now. but like i said thats my preference.
To get back on track....

since im watin 4conroe wat motherboard would u guys recommend

like warrior scot said "they are releasing the other boards at the same time so you wont see those till July at least". I agree on that, if u want to go for the core 2 duo (conroe) wait to see a better product line. I'm sure you'll get a good recommendation by then.

Edited by sarahw, 23 June 2006 - 01:30 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There will be plenty to choose from, this is one of the most hyped CPU releases in a while, its the first CPU where intel have taken the fingers out of there rear ends and not only that people are hoping its a mark of things to come now they have finally ditched the pentium brand.