Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPU Recovery Issue for ATI Radeon X700

• Please log in to reply

theforevermind

theforevermind

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can someone please tell me exactly what is going wrong if the vpu recovery dialong box comes up?

It keeps popping up after 20-30 mins into Battlefield 2 (only on this game).

What can I do to troubleshoot the problem?

Advertisements

nick0440

nick0440

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I used to have the same problem with that graphics card. I heard there were some conflicts with that card and VIA motherboards. Unfortunatley I cant give you any advice on how to fix it,I just went out and bought a radeon x850xt.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sometimes that can be a sign that your GPU is overheating or there has been a conflict with the card itself

can you post back with your GPU and CPU temps and/or motherboard temps.

troppo

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't know how to check my GPU temp since my card didn't come with any programs...
Can you suggest any programs that I could use to get my GPU temp?

My CPU temp: 59-62
My SYS temp: 42-44

I have a new 120mm fan coming from Newegg. I am gonna try to get some better airflow inside the case...

ALSO!

When do the fans on graphics cards kick in? Do they run all the time or not?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the fan should work all the time its not like a cpu fan
if its not working dont turn on the computer or at least dont play any games watch any dvds or anything like that.

you can use a few programs
everest would be the best because it tells you everything connected to your pc and what its is running at i.e speed/temp....etc

you can get it here
http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

your CPU temp is very high aswell you defiantly need more air in that case!!!
i would suggest not running much on your pc until you fix the cooling issue you could do some damage to your pc!!

depending on how hot your graghics cards temps are you might wnat to also think of upgrading your case instead of buying heaps of fans and things a new case can sometimes do absoulute wonders :whistling:
what case do you have at the moment? Generic or custom? and how many fans do you have installed and where are they positioned?

troppo

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok...I think I need to get this cooling thing fixed...
As you can see from Everest, my computer is hot!

Sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Abit MicroGuru (ISA E0h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 45 °C (113 °F)
CPU 64 °C (147 °F)
PWM 53 °C (127 °F)
Hitachi HDS722516VLSA80 44 °C (111 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4939 RPM
Fan #4 2288 RPM

As for my video card fan, it isn't moving at all...
What I could do is order a new one and then get a refund from newegg for the bad one...
Or I could just order a new fan for it...

My case right now is a cheap powmax thing that sucks but I thought I could just live with it (guess not!)
Can you suggest any good cases (atx, full tower) that are reasonably priced?

By the way, thanks for helping...

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You could just turn VPU recovery off. Even though if something went wrong it would damage your graphics card. The fan should be on all the time if its not working check if it is pluggin in properly if it is its probs the fan gone and i would buy a new one.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well yes as you can see your whole system is runing very hot your CPU temp is 64 degrees and the fan is running at almost 5000RPM!!!! you are gunna damage your whole system not just your Grahics card!

(i hope you took these temps under no load what so ever)

PWM im guessing is your card 53 degress is hot

what i would suggest would be to firstly swap cases bye a new one that has pleanty of room and good airflow cheack out www.newegg.com and look for cases style is your own choice but look for things like space for and intake fan (usually 80mm in the front of the case [blowing over the HDD's]) a space for a 120mm fan in the back and pleanty of room to allow good circulation.

i wouldnt suggest buying any new fans at this stage like dont go of rushing to get a heap of fans with extreame heatsinks on them yet. you will be surprised how effective this will hopefully be!
and theres no need for round cables as if yet hold of on those and if the case doesnt work then post back and we can talk some more abotu fans and stuff. its good that you have a 120mm fan coming from newegg cause that can go into your new case

just out of interest what other things do you have in your case at the moment you havent said what mobo you have or CPU?

now as far as your grahics card fan goes that is seriouse DO NOT PLAY GAMES until this is fixed you could damage it beyond repair.
with your card im not sure how we can go about this (replacing the fan) am i right when i say that it has a heatsink on it covering part of the fan and covering the RAM witha heatsink?

if so this will make it alot harder to replace it (im not sure if you can actually)

did you buy this card form newegg? and if so how long have you had it?

no probs about the help! :whistling:
troppo

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Question?!

Would this new fan work on my gpu or not?

http://www.arctic-co...vga2.php?idx=36

My graphics card is reviewed here...

http://www.systemcoo...700_pro-01.html

If that doesn't work...where can I get a new fan for it?
If there isn't a fan...I got the card from Newegg last July so I should be able to rma it?

Here is my system spec...

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ABIT AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard
Powercolor Radeon X700 256 MB PCI Express
1 GB Corsair RAM
HITACHI Deskstar 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Rosewill Value 400 W Power Supply
Acer 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
so your card does have RAM sinks. ok

the artic cooler should work on your card im not sure if it covers the RAM aswell though maybe do some research to see if it does?

but as i said before it looks like your whole system is runing fairly hot you should try to cool the whole thing down 64 degrees is way to hot under no load at all just think that measn that your CPU could get up to near 76 or even hotter

seriuosly i would think that (provided your GPU fan is working) consider a new case that will help cool everything down what type of case do you have at the moment? generic or custom?

this will allow you to get some airflow in that case and hopefully cool everything down a bit

troppo

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yah, i am not sure about the ram sinks...

there is also this fan as well
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118125

I think I will probably go with that one instead assuming my graphics card is not damaged without the fan working...

as for cases...i need a new full tower!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133154

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811165008

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811233002

Right now, I have a POWMAX 702 MATRIX CP702-5 Green Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail. IT SUCKS! My first build...and I went too cheap on the case!

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
haha! alot of people just think that a case is a case and that its only purpose is to hold all of your stuff and look pretty. well its not. a case is just as important as a good CPU cooler. the case is what allows the air to get to the components. if a case is small cramped and cheap usually it will do more harm than good to your pc.

alot of cheaper cases were designed to house older systems like early p2's and p3's which didnt produce much heat

newer cases are designed roomier and allow more air to flow through them

i like the thermaltake case you pointed out thermaltke make good cases. exept where they have positioned the front usb slots that could become annoying after time

so do you have your heart set on a full tower case? i only ask because there is alot more range in the mid tower cases department but if your heart is set on full tower then thats fine

and about that VGA fan it still doesnt come with ram sinks you might be able to get away with installing some your self usually its just a heatsink that is small in size that sticks to your ram with thermal tape i would recomend using something better like artic silver 5 to stick them on with you might be able to get away with just ram sinks provided that your new case is alot cooler.
just looking over the pics of the thermaltake case it doesnt look like it has a spot for a side fan you might want to look for one that does so you could put ramsinks on your card and have a nice 80mm fan blowing right on your card (also with the VGA fan)

that would work nicely that would do away with trying to look for a fan with ramsink coverage!
post back with your thoughts

troppo