Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn printer on, XP says it is safe to uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Molo

Molo

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Everytime I turn on my printer, XP tells me it is safe to uninstall the hardware. I have tried MS & HP to see if there is any updates for this printer and so far there are none. Printer worked before we installed XP, had Win98 SE before. Also, after printer prints 3 or 4 pages it locks the whole computer down and I have to do a hard shut down. (hate doing that) Then it won't continue printing what I wanted printed. If there is any help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Molo

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you upgrade from 98SE to XP or format and clean install

Have you re-installed the printer software and drivers since installing XP

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Upgraded from 98 SE to XP. Yes, uninstalled printer software and reinstalled from disk that came with printer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall the printer software and drivers

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Run Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Look for the software and drivers at HP

http://h10025.www1.h...t=374575&os=228

Install their updates as well

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did everthing you said to do, but still having problem with an icon on my task bar stating "Safely Remove Hardware"

Thanks again,

Molo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a card reader involved?

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The printer doesn't have a card reader slot, but it does have a usb slot on the front of it.

Molo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the printer improved its behaviour?

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
it seems to be working fine now, except for the icon on taskbar.

Thanks again,
Molo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double click the icon, tick display device components, is the printer shown?

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yes, it is shown along with

hp psc1310 series (DOT4USB)

Thanks,

Molo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apparently you right click the taskbar, click properties, click customize, look for safely remove hardware, click the hide when inactive wording so you get a drop down arrow, set it to always hide, click OK, click apply

http://www.helpwithw...P/howto-07.html

" It is possible that you never unplug this hardware. So how do you get rid of the icon? As far as I know the only way is to right-click the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide in the Behavior column next to it (press OK and Apply to back out). "

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok, did that. It is now hidden.

Thanks, Molo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts