Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Start Up Problem !

• Please log in to reply

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've just put a new system together. I don't have it in the box at the moment because i've had a problem with it starting. When i power it up, it only comes on for a few seconds then it powers down again (including the power supply)

Anyone got any ideas ? :whistling: Thanks in advance !

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First things I'd look at... shorts.... only plug in what is neccessary.... memory video motherboard/cpu/fan. Also you could check the power switch to make sure it is not shorted.... Another thing would be heat, is your processor/heatsink/fan working/installed correctly. Are you overclocking? Also check the power supply.... bad? not enough power for your setup? overheating? Maybe you are not getting good smooth input from the outlet...

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

First things I'd look at... shorts.... only plug in what is neccessary.... memory video motherboard/cpu/fan. Also you could check the power switch to make sure it is not shorted.... Another thing would be heat, is your processor/heatsink/fan working/installed correctly. Are you overclocking? Also check the power supply.... bad? not enough power for your setup? overheating? Maybe you are not getting good smooth input from the outlet...

I've only got the cpu/fan and graphics installed on the board at the moment. I'm using a really simple switch for the power which has worked fine when i've made other systems (maybe i'll check that). I'm not overclocking (i havn't had the system running yet). I've got a 550w power supply which should be plenty for the system. I've tried different power outlets and leads.

If the cpu was blown would it do this ? The way it is turning on then off sounds like a short but that could be anywhere on the board couldn't it ?

Thanks for getting back so quick ! I'll check the switch and get back. If you have any other ideas please let me know. Cheers ! :whistling:

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've checked it with another switch and i still have the same problem ! :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well I'd try pulling the memory and try booting it. Make sure you have a speaker or a buzzer of some sort hooked up and see if it beeps. iF not try pulling the video card and do the same thing... Most if not all boards will beep if you don't have either a video card or memory installed... if it doesn't first suspect is motherboard. Could be CPU or like I said the heatsink/fan assembly.. are you getting a good seal? Did you use some kind of heatsink compound? either your own or provided with the heatsink?

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm thinking it's maybe a problem with the cpu fan or the fan power supply on the motherboard ? Everything is under warranty so i might just send it back !

Problem is if it's just me being stupid i'll have to pay for the delivery + £30 for their technician to find out it's ok :whistling:

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry, replied before i had chance to read your last reply !

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I'm thinking it's maybe a problem with the cpu fan or the fan power supply on the motherboard ? Everything is under warranty so i might just send it back !

Problem is if it's just me being stupid i'll have to pay for the delivery + £30 for their technician to find out it's ok :whistling:

before you send it back see my post above and try that.... I normally suspect motherboard before cpu but this is an odd case.

Did you get a retail processor? ie did it come with heatsink and fan or did you buy those seperately? If seperately did the heatsink have any kind of compound?

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, still have the same problem with them both removed ! I don't get a beep because it's not powered up for long enough

I bought a pentium dual which came with a fan and compound.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :woot:

FurrySpud

FurrySpud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for your help mate by the way !

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thanks for your help mate by the way !

No problem. Like I said I'd still look more at the motherboard before processor but this is a tough call.... It could possibly be either....

edit-

good luck with getting warranty replacement..... sometimes that can be tough....

Edited by shard92, 20 June 2006 - 03:02 PM.