Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New SATA HDD Setup

• Please log in to reply

akumag2

akumag2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
I hope someone can help this is driving me round the bend.

I just purchased a Western Digital 250GB SATA300 HDD, it is plugged into a SATA PCI Card.
I installed Windows XP on it a fresh install, I have service pack 2. It is fully up to date.

I also have a Seagate 160GB HDD that is IDE as a second drive that is for storage only.

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 tv card which is my primary video card.
Now that the SATA Drive is my primary (was previously the IDE 160GB) I get an error message when launching my ATI TV application

"DMA Not Enable.
Personal video recorder & tv on demad preformance will be degraded on this system as DMA for this hard disk is not enabled.
Please check the system settings in the windows control panel for the following devices.
ST3160021A" (which is the SATA HDD.

I looked in device manager for the HDD but I do not see anything that enables DMA.

Also now I am using the SATA drive as the default the "Hibernate" button from the shutdown options is greyed out.
I checked the power settings and there is a message.
"The UPS Service is currently stopped"

I tried to start the service but I get another error message (dont currently have that to hand, basically it wont let me start the service.

Any ideas anyone?
I got the SATA drive as it is supposed to be quicker but this is becomming a hassel, more so when you have to use a floppy to install the driver for the pci card when installing XP when you dont have a floppy drive! (got that part sorted though)

Advertisements