Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build wont post

• Please log in to reply

Gort10

Gort10

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Epox EP-8KRAI Pro, e-GEForce FX5500; Maxtor 300 & 80 GB IDE, 512KB PC2100. Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W
PS/2 mouse & keyboard.
Upon power up case fans run, Video card fan runs. CPU heatsink becomes warm.

But no bios post, no beeps, no disk activity. Have checked my connections again and again.

Have tried:

-two different power supplies 300W, 500W (brand new)
-two CPU's (XP2800+, XP2400+)
-three different video cards, 2 PCI, One brand new AGP
-three different memory sticks, alone or in combos, in all possible DIMM slots
-removing all connections exc. video, K/B, mouse
-removing all memory (no beep codes result)
-cleared CMOS, removing battery for 3 mins in process
-removed board from case to check for case shorts - no change
-RMA'ing board from TigerDirect - replacement board exhibits same behavior and the one I returned.

At this stage all I can think of is that both my CPU's decided to die at the same moment. Seems very unlikely and unfortunately I dont have another compatible system to try them in at the moment.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
the only thing that comes to mind that you didnt' mention was the cmos jumper. Some motherboards ship with the cmos jumper in the clear position and won't boot until put in the normal mode.

Gort10

Gort10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but the jumper is in the Normal (Default) setting. I moved it to clear CMOS, then put it back to normal.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
try to run the computer with only the necessary parts. mobo, cpu, psu, gpu, and hd or something, then update the bios for the motherboard. and see if that works.

Gort10

Gort10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Have tried to boot with mobo on a piece of cardboard with only cpu, psu, gpu + and - memory. No bios post. No beeps. No nothing. Thanks.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
hmm.....this is interesting........lets see.......here........have you tried a different cpu? try it, by process of elimination that is the dud, either that or your not doing something right. go over a guide on putting together a computer and make sure ur cables are connected properly and switches in correct position. maybe ur power buttons/wires arent set up properly

Gort10

Gort10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried an AMD XP 2800+ and an AMD XP 2400+ both of which were in working systems the last time they were used. I have been thru the guide a couple of times already and this is the tenth system I have built so I know that connections are easy to screw up. I have spent hours rechecking and starting over. All I can think of is that either I received two dud mobos from TigerDirect or that both of my CPUs decided to pack it in since the last time I used them.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I have tried an AMD XP 2800+ and an AMD XP 2400+ both of which were in working systems the last time they were used. I have been thru the guide a couple of times already and this is the tenth system I have built so I know that connections are easy to screw up. I have spent hours rechecking and starting over. All I can think of is that either I received two dud mobos from TigerDirect or that both of my CPUs decided to pack it in since the last time I used them.

well I suppose either is a possibility though unlikely... Have seen the unlikely happen in the past though.... Since both processors are amd xp's and both are used, have you checked the die? The small raised part in the middle of the processor.... the edges should be sharp and unchipped/cracked.... it's very easy to damage an amd xp processor when you remove them from a system.. Also since you are using used processors did you clean the heatsink and cpu and reapply heatsink compound to get a good seal?

Gort10

Gort10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did clean the cpu's and used the thermal tape AMD recommends but when I just examined them for chips or cracks I didnt find chips or cracks but did find a slight area of discoloration which appears on the pin side of the CPU near the center of the chip. Both cpu's have it but it is barely noticeable on the XP2800. I am wondering if this is a sign of overheating on both chips.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Very possible yes.