Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card problems I think?

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I recently bought a new hewlitt packard pavilion media center TV PC model # m7480n. Now I upgraded the GPU to a nvidia geforce 7600 GTOC and when I played games like rise of legends it would freeze up for about 10 seconds then continue to freeze up about every minute or so. I determined that a 300 watt power supply was not enough for this 350 watt card so I went to circuit city and bought a 400 watt antec smartpower 2.0 and just finished putting it in and tried playing rise of legends and it went good for about 30 minutes then it repeated itself on the freezing problem. Did I get the wrong power supply or is it altogether something else.

Here are some of my system specs. Intel Pentium D 930 CPU 3.00GHzx2, 2 gigabytes of ram nvidia geforce 7600 GTOC 258mb if you need more specs than that please tell me.

Edited by racinmason001, 20 June 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
350 to 400 watts is not much of a boost considering you alreay suspected power to be the problem. Is 400 watts adequate? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the graphics card requires, especially under heavy gaming load, and the other components of your system. Here is an excellent resource on power supplies:
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There are some power supply calculators there which will help you figure it out.