Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is My DVD RW Drive Dead.

• Please log in to reply

aliencds

aliencds

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have knows about this site for quite a while but have yet to subscribe. So Hello to everyone :blink:

I recently have recieved a problem with my pc and i want a second opinion. Im pretty handy with computers. I built my own pc and i clean all malware and all that good stuff out for plenty of friends and family members :help:

I recently been trying to backup a dvd of mine and i keep getting an error. Im pretty sure its my DVD burner drive is messed up. I thought it was the dvd-r cds i was using so i upgraded my NEC firmware to version 1.0B but it had no effect. I went and got a new pack of DVD-R's and same problems.

I have tried disconnections the power cable and IDE cable and still had no effect. All i can think of is the DVD drive is messed up. Here is a screenshot of the error.

http://img66.imagesh...114345pm4fn.jpg

let me know what you guys think i apprecaite the help. I plan on contributing to this forum as soon as i get some free time. There is alot of information to be learned through it. I cant wait :whistling:

EDIT: may i also mention that i can burn a music cd just not a dvd

Edited by aliencds, 20 June 2006 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I see your using DVD Decrypter. First off I hope your backing up a legally purchased DVD right? :whistling:

Have you tried burning a DVD using another program, such as NERO? I use DVD Decrypter quite often and everyonce in a while I get the same error message. The fact that you can burn CD's but not DVD's leads me to belive that the problem does NOT lie with your DVD burner (at least not the hardware aspect of it). Try burning a DVD with another program and see if the problem persists. And if so, what error message do you recive with the other programs.

--Chris

PS. If you dont have another DVD burning program, go to download.com, there are plenty of free ones out there. But if you have it, I would reccomend using NERO, as I am very familiar with that program myself, and its also a very reliable program.

aliencds

aliencds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have tried using clone dvd also and get an error saying "Bad Media" i know the media isnt bad :/ ill report back im gonna try nero which i have.

heres the error from nero

http://img273.images...613445pm5xl.jpg

Edited by aliencds, 21 June 2006 - 11:37 AM.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I notice this is an I/O error. How are your I/O options set in dvd decrypter? The default selection is "SPTI-Microsoft".

There is a great tutorial on DVD Decrypter and its options by Doom9.

Here is the page that explains the options for the I/O interface.
http://www.doom9.org...dec-options.htm

I would make sure you have the I/O options set to the default and if that doesn't work, try the other interface options.

--Chris

aliencds

aliencds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
its none of the options i been using dvd decrypter for a long time and just last night i shut off my computer and i turn it on and now its broken

aliencds

aliencds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
fixed..my dvd-rw drive was dead..replaced with a lite-on and we are good to go. Guess NEC dvd drive only last 3 years

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Bitter sweet then I guess. At least you fixed the problem, thanks for posting the resolution.

--Chris