Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General memory question

• Please log in to reply

ksco

ksco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not sure how to ask this, hopefully it will make sense. A long time ago someone told me that it is pointless to upgrade memory to really high MB/GB because the pc only uses part of it and doesn't need all that. I'm asking cause I'm about to upgrade the memory on my laptop pc, and if it will run the same with 512 MB memory as it would with 1 GB, then I will just go with the 512 to save some money.
So should I get the 512 MB stick or 1 GB?

Thanks!

Advertisements

aliencds

aliencds

• Pip
  • 8 posts
go for the 1gb..from 512 to 1gb is a big difference..from 1gb to 2gb not much of a difference

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
It depends what your going to use it for, if its for gaming then 1gb would be better, but 512 would be more than plently for day to day tasks and getting the extra memory wouldnt do much. It also depends on your OS, XP loves eating memory so if its running that then maybe 1gb is better. I agree with alien about the difference between 512 and 1 though, you will notice it but beyond that you probably wont notice much.

ksco

ksco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. I'm using it mainly to play music, I DJ weddings and during dinner I run a playlist in iTunes.