Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 PC's, one network, 2 different download rates

• Please log in to reply

Gingerguy

Gingerguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK - this is my first post so apologies if I get a few things wrong with any posting etiqutte I may not know!! :blink:

I am having a really annoying problem with one of my CP's not recieveing the same download rate as another on the same network. The annoying thing is, the machine that is receiving the lower download rates is the newer and much more powerful one!

I have a 4mb cable broadband connection.

My older PC (we'll call this Sony) benefits from a wonderful 3.54kbits (or there abouts) download rate when testing on www.adslcheck.net.

My new PC (called Dell), all be it on the same network and a much more powerful machine, is only recieving a download rate of 1.54kbits.

Can anyone tell me why Sony may be seemingly doing better than Dell? :whistling:

:help: :)

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That would be very bad dialup. Dialup should expect 26.6Kbps min to be acceptable. Do you mean 3.54Mbps/1.54Kbps?
The problem could be the hardware (NIC), or the drivers for the hardware. Certian software can slow you down. Boot into "Safe Mode with network support", and run your speed tests. This will only work with XP, not 9X or ME. POST the results.

Gingerguy

Gingerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes sorry - I do mean Mbps for both. I thought it maybe the drivers for the network card so I updated them but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll try running in safe mode as you suggested and let you know what happens. :-)

Gingerguy

Gingerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK - I tired running it in safe mode with Networking and got similar results. Downloading was 1.7Mbps and uploading was 0.5Mbps. This is very poor for a 4mb connection and I just can't work it out!

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Not really. If you read your TOS, the cable company does not promise you a certian bandwidth. It states bandwidth up to 4Mbps. You also have to realize you share that bandwidth with others in your neighborhood. You line is not dedicated to you. It could be if you want to pay $600 a month for a 1.5Mbps T-1 connection.
There are other factors. The age of the coax from the sevice box to your house\modem. The time of day you are accessing the net, and the server you are accessing. I have 6Mbps\768Kbps of bandwidth and never am able to get more than 300Kbps from Download.com or more than 500Kbps from MicroSoft.
I am not saying you should not expect it, but I would not loose sleep over it.
Have you tried a new cable to your new computer or switch cables between computers. All CAT5 is not created equal.

Gingerguy

Gingerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've thought about the ISP problem and phoned them to as their advice. They suggested, and i'm inclined to agree, that its probably not the line/cable itself as my older machine always recieves at least 3.54MBps. This is what led me to thinking it was a problem local to the machine itself. I'm just not clever enough to work out what or why. I'll try switching the cables and see if that helps at all - i'll post back soon...

Gingerguy

Gingerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK - I switched the leads and I think tht sorted it. I have run sspeed test on four or five different sites and they all come in between 2.54 and 3.8Mbps!

However, I did try testing on www.adslcheck.net again (the original one I tested it on) and its still telling me I am 1.54Mbps. How come this website is so out of synch with the others? Do you think I need to worry about it?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
There are several test sites. I use http://www.toast.net and run three tests. 1-text only, 2-graphics only, and 3-both text and graphics. The test server can also very as well as the backbone line carrying the test to and from you. I hope you can sort it out. With the variations in wire and server reprots I believe your torment is external not the computer. You vary well may not be able to over come this.

Sorry

Edited by acklan, 21 June 2006 - 12:46 PM.