Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow At Start Up - Programs Not Responding When Opening?

• Please log in to reply

squiggles21

squiggles21

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I have been having trouble for quite some time with my computer slowing down at start up, can take more than a few minutes sometimes, and when I try to open a program, i.e. MS Word, Yahoo Messenger, AOL sometimes the program will open right up and sometimes it may start to open an then just stop. When I hit ctrl alt delete it says program is not responding so I end it. Then re-open it and most of the time it will work.

I am running Windows 98 SE. on my Gateway with a Pentium III processor.

I have run all the normal Ad Aware, Spybot and Avast antivirus programs. Sometimes ad-aware finds things and I delete them, the same for Spybot. Avast says there are no viruses found. I've done system defrag, disk clean up and scan disk as well.

Sometimes Internet Explorer will lock up when you go to open a web page or if I am on one and click on something it just freezes or may take forever to open the next page, so I started using AOL Explorer as this seems to work better for the most part.

Any ideas as to why I keep getting these none responding messages? :whistling:

Let me know.

Thanks,
Ira

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

This part is optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I have run system file checker. It did not ask to replace any files. Also did defrag the other day too.

Any other suggestions to try?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if Tune Up improves things, it's a trial but will repair anything it finds

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I already have a program installed called PC Pitstop Optimize. Isn't that like the same thing as Tune up? I just ran pitstop and it says no problems found with anything it checked.

Should I still do Tune up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is a free trial and it shows you the errors and then you can close without fixing or fix

I haven't used pic stop so do not know what it does in comparison to tune up

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did in fact download and run Tune up and it found hundreds of errors of all types, and I let it fix them. Don't know why pitstop never found these.

So far, at least as of last night most things seemed to be better. It still took a long time to boot up, but I didn't seem to get the non responding errors.

It told me I had many programs running at start up, but many of them said they were unknown and didn't tell me what to do with them, so I left them alone, others it said it recommended to leave on, so I did.

Thanks for your help so far. I'll get back to you if any problems still arise.