Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File/Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

IBMLappy

IBMLappy

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi, I have looked through some networking problems that some other people are having to just read and see if i could figure out what was wrong with mine without having to post a whole new thing but couldnt find someone with the same exact problem as mine. so..

I have 4 computers connected to a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router(WGT624). 2 Laptops and 2 Desktops, 1 Desktop is connected directly to the router. And i want to at least network my laptop(Lappy) to my desktop(Puter) so i can be able to share the printer. I am able to get files and stuff by going to run and then typing in "\\192.168.0.5" which will open all the shared files on Puter. Lappy and Puter are able to ping each other and get a reply. And all the computers are in the same workgroup but when i go to Lappy and Puter and click on my network places and then view workgroup computers it gives me this
Posted Image
But then i try to run puter and then open up all the things that puter shares. I get a icon for a printer and then when i double click on it, it gives me this
Posted Image
So then i try just going to control panel and then printer and fax and then click Add a Printer, then i go to find in workgroup and then it searchs and just gives me this
Posted Image
And i cant figure out what to do. And i need a printer for Lappy but dont want to keep unattaching it from Puter to Lappy and back and forth.

Please Help!

Thanks
IBMLappy

Edited by IBMLappy, 21 June 2006 - 06:14 PM.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
What firewall are you using?

IBMLappy

IBMLappy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The one that windows gives me i guess.

I do have McAfee on both computers.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Most problems with sharing on home networks is down to firewalls blocking access. Try turning it off briefly and see if it works. Does McAfee have a firewall as well? You should only use one firewall.

IBMLappy

IBMLappy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yea that worked. but im not sure if McAfee has a firewall or not its McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.0. but it works now can i turn back on the firewall or will that mess it up?