Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore on ME

• Please log in to reply

AndyDoughy

AndyDoughy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy,

I am running on ME and have a headache, I have recurring problems with it constantly writing to disk so I can never complete a defrag or successfully run an installation in one go. It never auto runs a disk like it used too and can slow down when it isn’t happy, to the point that it will lock up for 5mins to close a window.

I have run scans from all different sources from registry repairers free on pcmags to buying the full Symantec suite.

I have had enough, so I have purchased an external hard drive and backed up anything I would miss and am preparing to restore everything to what it was.

Should I do it?

I’m on ME should I use this as an opportunity to upgrade my PC OS to XP?

Should I upgrade my hardware?

Could that be the problem?

Is a system restore the best time to upgrade?

Any comment would be great, as I do not really want to push the button but one of these days :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC in safe mode to run disc clean up and then disc defragmenter

This is optional

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If your system will run XP without any costly hardware upgrades then it will be worth doing

AndyDoughy

AndyDoughy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well Sunday arrived (my one free day from work) and I attempted to do as you advised.

I only managed to start in safe mode by going through msconfig and enabling start up menu, which seemed odd.

I ran the disk clean and defrag and still had the problem of something writing to disk, after several hours I noticed the every time the scan/defrag started it managed to get that little bit further and 7.5 hrs later it had finished scan disk alone!

Well basically jumping to today I finally had reached the step of

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimise and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process, which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

and received the following error (see attachment)

Your registry could not be optimised because your windows installation is damaged.
Could not find the file Scanregw.exe

The system cannot find the file specified

My computer hasn’t noticeably improved from the previous actions.

Will updating my OS and clearing my HDD help?

Attached Thumbnails

• Scanregw.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try this, replacing the find now file with scanregw

To Restore Individual Files
To restore individual files, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type rb0*.cab, and then click Find Now.
3. Double-click the cabinet file that contains the file that you want to restore.
4. Right-click the file that you want to restore, click Extract, and then choose the folder where the new file is to be placed. Microsoft recommends that you place the file in your Temp folder.
5. Restart your computer in MS-DOS mode (in Windows Millennium Edition, this requires that you restart with the Windows Millennium Edition Startup disk).
6. Copy the file that you extracted to the appropriate folder. Note that registry .dat files are typically marked as hidden and read-only, so you need to use both the attrib and copy commands to replace the existing file with the newly extracted one.

AndyDoughy

AndyDoughy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, that’s too complicated for me. I’m not familiar with Dos commands, had a quick google and it is above my level of proficiency. To be honest id much prefer to just upgrade my OS to XP and some hardware and have my hdd wiped. Would this solve the problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you can back up the data you need and the cost of upgrading is reasonable, it will be a good move