Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up my Laptop

• Please log in to reply

befgbgn

befgbgn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi everyone!!
I need help.....not sure what I need for my Fujitsu 675TX laptop for the internet so I can take it with me? I only have dial-up....I know it is very old, I have had it for a very long time...but never used it.
Deborah

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
How do you wish to access the internet? Dialup, cable, ISDN, DSL? It will make a difference. If you have a dialup modem that is working you only need to pick an ISP. If you need a modem you will have to buy a PCICMA slot 56k modem.
Could you give just a little more information?

befgbgn

befgbgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much!!

I do already have the PCICMA slot 56k modem.....picking an ISP? I am sorry for being a dummy here. Can you tell me more about this, and how does it work.
Deborah

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
ISP=Internet Service Provider. That is the person that connects you to the internet. What is your Cable company and telephone service?

befgbgn

befgbgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I thought thats what it was.....so there is an extra charge for that....I only have dial-up here in the sticks. Or do you use the same internet access, but you dial a long distance call, and who ever has the line pays for the call, or do they just charge me throung my internet company. I'm sorry I really do not know how it works. I just should talk to my internet company and find out how it works.
Thanks anyways Deborah

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You can get the low end DSL or cable for $24.95\mo. It is in addition to your regular cable or telephone bill. Instead of paying $9.95 to Netzero or Netscape, or $24 to AOL, you would just pay $XX.XX to your DSL or cable provider.
DSL can run from $15 to $85 per month and cable from $25 to $85 depending on the option you need. If you only have 1 or 2 computers and mostly surf you will probably be happy with 256Kbps download speed. If you do alot of downloads or have several computers that are on the internet all at the same time you my want a little more bandwidth. Don't confuse bandwidth with speed.
When the refer to 256Kbps or 1.5Mbps download speed they are referring to the amount of information that can be downloaded in one second. Not how fast it travels across the internet. It's like putting sugar in coffee. If you use a Tablespoon you can add tha sugar twice as fast as a teaspoon. Not because you are moving faster, because the tablespoon holds more. The same thing with Bandwidth. 1.5Mbps is going to download data 6 times faster than 256Kbps. The data is still moving at the same speed, just more of it.
Start out with the lower bandwidth. If you need more the ISP will be more than happy to increase your bandwidth (and your monthly bill).
I hope this helps.