Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding PC to Domain

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Ok so I'm having a little trouble adding a PC to my domain at work. I have added the PC on the actualyDomain controller however when I go back to the PC and try and join the domain its telling me it can't connect I was wondering if anyone might know whats going on. Just so know I have over 15 pcs to this domain already but this one in paticular is giving me trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if we can assume you added them to the domain, we can assume you have domain rights

when you say you added it to the actual domain controller, do you mean you added the machine in active directory manually and now you are joinging the pc to the domain?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

if we can assume you added them to the domain, we can assume you have domain rights

when you say you added it to the actual domain controller, do you mean you added the machine in active directory manually and now you are joinging the pc to the domain?

Yes that is correct I have added the machine to active direcetory manually, then when I go back to the pc and try actually joing the domain it doesn't allow me to. Its weird because I have added a allot of other PCs to already but this one is being stuborn I'm not sure some of the settings are messed up or what.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how were these systems installed? Manually?

Are you certain that you named it correctly in active directory (sorry, have to ask--the most obvious issue)

It could be a bad image install.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

how were these systems installed? Manually?

Are you certain that you named it correctly in active directory (sorry, have to ask--the most obvious issue)

It could be a bad image install.

I understand. Yes I did name it correctly however its kinda weird because the computer I'm trying to add to the domain was part of the domain before but I had to remove. Now when I try to add it says it can't find my domain name. I"m not sure if it has something to do with a DNS problem or what.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you ping the DNS server? How did you remove it from the domain?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you know, what quick test might be to rename the machine, add the new name to AD, and then join it with the different name

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

you know, what quick test might be to rename the machine, add the new name to AD, and then join it with the different name

Actually I just did what you said to about changing the name on both ends and I also flushed the DNS in command line. And I'm now on the network and happy. Thanks allot for the help I appreciate it.

BlutoniumBoy

BlutoniumBoy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just wondering why you would add a computer Object to ADS before joining the domain. In my experience with ADS, I have noticed more problems adding a computer Object to ADS manually then if you were to let ADS create the Object on its own when joining a PC to the Domain.

Just some food for thought when creating computer Objects when there is no Policy in place to prevent joining the Domain.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, I have had the same thought, but then I ran into a situation when rolling out a new OS in a Ford engine plant where for some odd reason we could not do it the normal way and had to do it as described. We just didn't have the time to trouble shoot why that plant was giving us this issue when the workaround was quicker, but it has always bothered me....

BlutoniumBoy

BlutoniumBoy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
gerryf, you lost me bro. Not too sure how to take that :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I just meant that for some reason that we never discovered, we were unable to join PCs to a domain in a certain plant the conventional way (from the PC), and needed to add the objects in AD and then join them

BlutoniumBoy

BlutoniumBoy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
haha, now that I read it, it makes more sense to me. Forgive me.