Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Access Mapped Drives

• Please log in to reply

fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
An issue has popped up on one of my computers that has me stumped. Every computer I have can map to every other computer I have -- except one: "John". John can map to all other drives, but no computer can map to John's Drives. Further, when you scan the AD, it lists John, but there is no plus sign (like there is with every other computer) and if you highlight it, none of the default maps are available. The map SEES the computer, but the maps simply are not available.

I've double-checked that the File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks has been selected on John's computer. All of the shares and securities for the drive on John appear consistent with the other computers on my network (2k3 Servers).

Any ideas, thoughts, complaints, or name calling come to mind? I'm tapped.

Fuzzylogik

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
the windows firewall is maybe blocking transactions to the computer, try turning off the firewall.

fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Good question -- one I forgot to address. No, I don't use the Windows Firewall (turned off the service). I do use Zone Alarm, but I've removed the "Load ZA at Startup" and rebooted, so nothing should remain resident. Any other thoughts?

Fuzzylogik

the windows firewall is maybe blocking transactions to the computer, try turning off the firewall.

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Just type in the network path - the same thing happened to me - it would not see the contents, only the PC which is not selectable.
I could see "server" but I could not see "D" which was the drive I needed. I just typed in

\\server\D

under folder and click OK. All was well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...try allowing file and print sharing in ZA (as just having it not load sometimes doesn't work)...also...try creating a new share LOCALLY on "john" and see if it showsup

fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I originially tried to type the network path, which is how I found out that things were amuck. Then I noticed that when other computers looked at John, that John showed up as a member of the AD, but no shares were available, even public shares.

Just type in the network path - the same thing happened to me - it would not see the contents, only the PC which is not selectable.
I could see "server" but I could not see "D" which was the drive I needed. I just typed in

\\server\D

under folder and click OK. All was well.

fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Interesting -- didn't know that ZA could control file and print sharing. I have the latest version -- where can I find the controls for file and print sharing? Just looked throughout the program and did not see it, but there are so many directories, subdirectories, tabs, etc. that I never feel like I've exhausted all of the possibilities.

Yeah, I know that ZA doesn't like to be completely uninstalled, even when it never loads at startup, but short of uninstalling it I don't know what else to try.

Fuzzylogik

also...try allowing file and print sharing in ZA (as just having it not load sometimes doesn't work)...also...try creating a new share LOCALLY on "john" and see if it showsup

fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The problem has been resolved. It seems that ZA was the problem after all -- just NOT in the facility that I thought. At some point a while ago, ZA offered the ability to shut down the Windows Firewall. I'm not sure if this option was pre-selected by default or not (I don't recall selecting this option; it under FIREWALL, ADVANCED, DSIABLE WINDOWS FIREWALL). When ZA turns this feature off, it kills the ICS Service (along with a couple of others that I had to manually turn on and tell them to automatically start at boot). When the ICS service is turned off, no one can map to the host computer. What another WONDERFUL feature Microshaft has created.

Just a friendly warning -- the ICS service WOULD NOT TURN ON AT ALL until I turned on the other services, which WERE NOT listed as Dependent Services of ICS!!! I believe the other services included the Application Layer Gateway Service, and both RPC services, among others (it was about 4am when I finally figured everything out -- sorry).

As far as I'm concerned this topic is closed.

Fuzzylogik

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
thanks for the feed back on how you went with it and resolved it..........