Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I create a Word document as read-only

• Please log in to reply

simz

simz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I recieved an email with a word attachment. When I opened this it read the following 'This document cannot be edited because it contains a read-only embedded font'. The save button was greyed out as well.

I would like to create documents such as the above but have no idea how too! Can somebody help please! I know you can right click the document and go to properties and then click read-only. However when you open this the save button is not greyed out. Another option I have is to installed adobe acrobat and convert to pdfs. However is there any way I can do this from word only. Will it be a microsoft paid services?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Simz

Advertisements

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
While the doc is open go to tools and down to protect document, then the protect document window will pop up on the side of your document and pick the type of restrictions you want to place on the doc, click on start enforcement and you are on your way. have fun.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Will the opposite work...I receive a read only document, and I want to take off that restriction...?