Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Display Acting Funny

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Lately, on a couple machines here at work, the display is acting funny. An example would be like when you open Outlook Express 6...it is usually BLUE but now it is white, and some other programs show "washed out" colors. Basically, things become very pixelated. This is happening not on just one machine, but a couple. Do I need to re-install drivers or is there another way to fix the problem. Help!!!

Also, I am switching over a win 2000 pro machine to another user at work and we want to REMOVE that [bleep] password thing to logon to the computer. How do I do that? It effects the networking also...this is the only machine that asks for a password when trying to network, so basically noone can get on it. thanks.

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 23 June 2006 - 09:13 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the video thing...try a different (known working) monitor on one of the ones with the problem...if the issues remain..i'd try to update the vid drivers..

as for the second one...is this network a domain? or a workgroup environment?

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi! Thanks for the reply. First, the monitor thing I have tried. For example I have one monitor I know works fine. When I hook a box with Win 98 up to it, the problem happens...but then I hooked up a box with Win 2000 pro, and it works just fine. I do all the "re-formating" here at my job of everyone's computers when they have problems. The vid driver are ones that were recommended by this forum! They work at first, then the issue starts to happen. It's not a major headache but an ugly irratation! LOL

The password thingie. Let me start over. The Secratary here at work got a new computer. Her old one she had password protected (and yes, I have the password!) and was the only computer on our WORKGROUP (network) that nobody could access. She could access all of ours but nobody could get into hers. Everytime we tried it would ask US for a password and her normal windows startup password did not work. I just want to get rid of ALL the passwords so there is none on anything. That is what I need to know how to do, and like I said I know her password now so I am not trying to pull a fast one on you guys :-)

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 23 June 2006 - 10:59 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when is it asking for this password? in bios? or once you're in windows?

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Once in windows

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Everytime we tried it would ask US for a password and her normal windows startup password did not work.

what password is this? is it the login password or not? trying to figure out what's password protected

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Her login screen would pop up after windows started. That password I have...let's say it is "rain." Cool...BUT when anyone would try to access her computer throught the network (workgroup) evrytime we would click on her computer name throught the network neighborhood, it would ask for ANOTHER password and "rain" (the login password) would not work. We have no idea what the other one is. Noone can access her computer but she CAN access everyone else from it.

That is the best I can describe it. I think I need to figure a way to become admin. and then wipe out all the other accounts. That's what I am thinking but not sure.

Any ideas on the display problem?
Thank you :-)

peace out,
daddy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...the best option would be to find out WHO set up that second password...and ask them how they did it...i would assume it's a permissions setting on the shared folders themselves...if SHE sat it....then ask her...

as far as the video thing goes...do you have another video card you could test with? a known working one?