Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I reboot my wireless router?

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
My laptop is recieving signal from our home network, but when it's connected, I can't access the internet. I had this problem before, then the home network signal disappeared, but today it reappeared. When it happened before, I was told the only way to fix it is to reboot the router, but I don't know how. Can anyone help me? I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT45G ver. 2 . I think the problem arose when I got the harddrive on my laptop replaced and lost the network password and the router probably doesn't recognize it as my computer. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Advertisements

zodsquad

zodsquad

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have that same type of wireless router, and you can either find the tiny reset button on the back and use a sharp object to press it, or just unplug it from power, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.

Hope this helps!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Try the unplugging the power first. if you hit the reset button it will reset your router back to factor defaults and you will have to setup your wireless connection again (if you were using encryption and we strongly suggest that you do).

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
just cut the power and then boot back up again it always works for me! and the internet cuts out about 3 times a day where i live! :whistling:

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Unplugging and plugging didn't work, so I reboot it. How do I set up the network again? Because now my main computer doesn't have internet either, I don't know why. :-/ Any ideas?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
open up internet explorer and go to the following url: 192.168.1.1

that should take you to the admin console for the router.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks. Should I do that on the main computer or my laptop?

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

It does not matter wich PC you do it from because you are accessing the modem. You are just using Internet Explorer so that you can communicate with your modem. You should also be able to reboot your modem from here as well.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

It does not matter wich PC you do it from because you are accessing the modem. You are just using Internet Explorer so that you can communicate with your modem. You should also be able to reboot your modem from here as well.

It does matter. use the main 'wired' computer to set up the router. You can't use the laptop to do it because there's no (wireless) connectivity yet between it and the router.

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

It does matter. use the main 'wired' computer to set up the router. You can't use the laptop to do it because there's no (wireless) connectivity yet between it and the router.

I am very sorry if I have led anyone up the garden path but when I read the first post it said that there was connectivity between the router and the laptop but there was no internet connection.

Edited by jimfu2, 16 July 2006 - 10:22 PM.