Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Drew806

Drew806

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a new Antec PSU to fix my gaming computer so I could play Oblivion and ran into some trouble. The computer seems to be running fine and I haven't had any problems save 1. I installed Oblivion and let it auto-detect my video settings which it put on medium with a resolution of 640X480 (crappy auto-detect) and ran the game. Imediately at startup the game freezes. The first animation on the screen which is the Bethesda Softworks logo starts to appear and the game freezes and starts to skip. Nothing new shows up and the sound is that of a skipping CD. If I open another program with a hotkey while it is frozen and try to alt-tab to it Oblivion progresses slightly or unfreezes completely and heads to the main menu without a problem. Every 10 seconds or so on the main menu my mouse becomes choppy but other than that it runs fine. If I try to start a new game it loads up and when the bar gets to the end of the loading process it goes to a black screen. If I do the little alt-tab trick it unfreezes and takes me to the character creation screen, which runs horribly, randomly freezing and pausing for 15 seconds at a time if I try to change anything. If I am lucky enough to make it into the game (happened once out of about 20 tries) it runs really choppy and ended up crashing after about 1 minute. I have tried super low video settings and all different types of resolutions within the game to try and fix the problem and none have worked. I have downloaded and installed the latest video drivers and made sure DirectX9.0c was installed. I also ran a DxDiag and everything checked out okay. I also installed the Oblivion 1.1 patch and uninstalled/reinstalled the game. I can't find a similiar topic on the bethesda support site FAQ and nothing is working. I hope someone can point me in the right direction as there should be no hardware problems with my homebuilt PC that is < 1yr old. This computer should have no problem running Oblivion on medium video quality at 1024X768 resolution. the specs are as follows.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+
CPU Speed: 1951.2 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport | NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
CD / DVD Drives: D: SONY CD-RW CRX320EE
Default Printer: HP DeskJet 720C
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 232.9GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 201.5GB
USB Controllers: Detected: 2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
Product Make:
Serial Number:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 12/28/04 | Nvidia - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. NF-CK804
Modems: Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem

All the hardware is good-premium grade, Gigabyte 6600gt 1gb of Kingston value ram Gigabyte Nforce4 939 socket SLI mobo, 250GB WD Caviar SE 16mb cache SATA 3.0GB/s Hdd etc etc. This tells me the problem must be somthing small I am overlooking. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need anymore system info just let me know.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My only thoughts are:
Your video drivers are incredibly out of date so go check nVidia's website and get the latest drivers

OR

Something in your computer is overheating. What kind of fan system/cooling/case do you have?

Drew806

Drew806

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already have the newest video drivers as of about 3 days ago, and my cooling is very good. 1X120mm case fan 3x80mm case fans, side window with processor air duct and breathing holes, antect smartpower psu with 1x80mm and 1x120mm fan. Under a heavy load my vid card stays under 60C core and my processor under 40C.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hm.

Did the game work before installing the latest drivers? Try a driver cleaner and if possible install the second or third newest driver and test out the game.