Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply

lakep7

lakep7

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i've tried to do system restore and i get the message that it cannot do a restore. can someone tell me how to fix the problem. i created a new restore point to no avail.
thanks in advance for help
lakep7

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it say you cannot because system restore is not installed / available

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no. i have system restore and go-back also. neither will do a restore. i have xp home and my friend has xp pro. she is also having the same problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you say what it does when you system restore, does it go through it then say it was unable to restore

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
that's exactly what it says

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you need to do a system restore now, or you just need to fix it?

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i don't need to do a system restore now. i just need to know how to fix the problem. my friend has had a lot of problems lately and she had to have her computer completely wiped and start over. when she got her computer back they said everything was working but then she tried a system restore and it would not do one. will it not do one if one is not needed. will it give you the message unable to restore if it does not need to be restored?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, it should restore to a point which you specify from those available

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.

As the computer reboots, keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
is this to install system restore or fix restore

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Repair it

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have had a problem and did a restore with no problems, but the last time i had a problem it would not restore so i wanted to get it fixed in case i have ant more trouble. thanks for your help. i will try this.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click system restore, system restore settings to reduce the amount of the drive it uses from 12% to 5% so it renews the restore points more frequently

Restore points which are too dated, seldom work anyway