Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which one? Watercooling or Core Duo 2 and accepting motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok need some help here.
Budget:£320
So watercooling for the Powercolor X1900 XT and the Northbridge or new Core Duo 2 and motherboard keeping in mind that the mobo costs min:£150 so max for proccessor means £160 (keeping in mind of the shipping costs).
Or watercooling the X1900 XT and Northbridge? (I just spent £35 on a new heatsink for the CPU the Zalman CNPS9500-AT so no point in watercooling that it never goes above 43 C anymay now so no point)
Also would like some case fans as I plan a small mod to allow more airflow over RAM and the Red heatsink part on the X1900 XT.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
There's a few pre order prices around at the moment...
I've seen:
" The cheapest Core 2 DUO E6300 at 1.86GHz, uses a 1066 FSB and comes in a retail pack for £158.57 incl. VAT."
"Core 2 DUO E6400 that that works at 2.13GHz with a FSB of 1066MHz. It costs £193.82 including VAT"
"Core 2 DUO E6600 works at 2.4GHz and has 1066 FSB but this chap has 4MB of cache memory. It is listed for £264.32 including VAT."
"Core 2 DUO E6700 works at 2.67GHz and uses 1066MHZ FSB and comes in a retail box for £440.57 including VAT"
"Core 2 DUO Extreme Edition X6800 works at 2.93GHz and has 4MB cache memory, uses LGA775 socket and a retail price of a saucy £810.69 including VAT."

If your mobo costs are £150, and you are left with £160, your kinda limit to the e6300.
But then again i saw warriorscot post some prices a little bit cheaper than these yesterday.
But i'm sure these would drop on release.

edit: keeping inmind u need 965X or 975X, intel's just started showing 965X on there web site

Edited by sarahw, 24 June 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That does not answer the question Sarah.......... yes I know the prices however which one watercooling upgrade or save?

In all truth the X1900 XT heats up my room no need for a radiator thats how hot it gets, its crashed out on me once (blue screen of death with error message) however i must stress this was once with all the windows closed therefore the room became similar to an microwave :whistling:
And the northbridge does get pretty warm.

Or I could save, also if I did upgrade would my current CPU heatsink work with the new Conroe and mobo? (See my signature for the heatsink)????

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

watercooling for the Powercolor X1900 XT and the Northbridge or new Core Duo 2 and motherboard

I posted the list of prices to give a general idea of what you would be upgrading to....
If you feel comfortable with replacing a 3 gig processor with a core 2 duo at 1.86 and the same 2mb cache, that would be in your price range, then do it.
I don't want to tell you how to spend YOUR money.
If it was my pocket, I would save for something better...

Edited by sarahw, 25 June 2006 - 08:03 PM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Discussion closed.