Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

seeming flakey brand new HP

• Please log in to reply

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
my mother bought a brand new HP Pavilion ZV6130US laptop about two months ago:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Mobile, 512mb DDR, 802.11b/g wireless, ATI Radeon X200 mobile, XP SP2, etc

two problems:

first- if a game is running when the system goes into standby or hibernation (the latter due to a low battery detected) it should resume in the same state, right? not with this thing. the game resumes for a second or two then crashes, with Windows giving a "this program has encountered an error and needs to close" message. almost every time. and once in a while it does this even when it isnt going in to standby/hibernation, just at random. the system is only a couple months old so driver updates should not be an issue, and anyway HP Update found no driver updates required. what gives???

second- the wireless adapter is acting very flakey. it wont let users add networks to the preferred list, it wont see an un-hidden or un-encrypted network in the list of availible networks, and it wont connect to anything. i have verifid all settings to be correct, the user account is administrator, etc. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the adapter (integrated, of course). sometimes if i restart the computer it will connect to a wireless netowkr that i attempted to add the preffered list before the restart (i add it and the system doesnt actually put it in the list but it will show up there if i restart). what is up with this???

Advertisements

Dragon306

Dragon306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
also, it freezes about half the time during shut down. third problem. what is up with this thing??

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If it is brand new 2 months ago, it would be under warranty. I suggest contacting HP.